Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Trying to recover a laptop.  I know the drive is good as I pulled it and plugged it into a USB device and scanned it to get rid of the malware that took out the boot sectors.

I can boot to a Win 7 install disk (from MSDN) and I can boot to the BIOS menu.  F11 will not launch the recovery manager.

None of the Win 7 repair options will detect the OS install that is on the disk.  I can go to the OS prompt within Win 7 repair and navigate to some recovery directory under an HP directory, but it can't execute that way.

It is out of warranty.

Model: G60-535DX

Serial:{Removed for privacy}

Product: VM085UA#ABA

OS should be Win 7 Home Premium x64, but basing this on the HP support site.  Most likely this is correct info.

Any other options to run recovery manager?  Can it be downloaded?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

There's a chance you may be able to get it to work by using the Windows 7 disc you have, opening the Command Prompt and then marking the Recovery Partition D as Active - if this has worked, the notebook will boot from the partition upon restart.  A further explanation of this can is shown under the heading 'Method 2' on the link below.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71432-partition-mark-active.html

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is n't an option to be able to download the Recovery Partition, but there is an easy work around if you have ( or can borrow ) a retail Windows 7 installation disc that is exactly the same version as your OEM installation - ie as your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need - this may well be the version you already have via MSDN.

If you don't, you can create an installation disc yourself - just download the correct Disc Image from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD.  These Images are clean and from a well-respected source, however there are only limited versions available.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-link...

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the underside of your notebook when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers you may need can be found Here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If in the future you wish to have the Recovery Partition back, you can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below - using these to reinstall Windows 7 will also re-create the Recovery Partition.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.  Unfortunately, the Microsoft Proof of License sticker on the bottom has become quite illegible, so I can't get the key off of it.

I was wondering about the recovery manager software for download, not the partition itself.  The disk has 3 partitions, one of which is the recovery partition. Just can't get the recovery manager program to launch, so wondering if there are other ways to run it off other media.

HP Recommended

Hi,

There's a chance you may be able to get it to work by using the Windows 7 disc you have, opening the Command Prompt and then marking the Recovery Partition D as Active - if this has worked, the notebook will boot from the partition upon restart.  A further explanation of this can is shown under the heading 'Method 2' on the link below.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71432-partition-mark-active.html

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

You rock!  I marked the recovery partition active and it is currently running recovery manager.  I'll post back when the system is operational.  Says 20' to go...

HP Recommended

Good to hear it started :generic:

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks,

System is now operational.  I really appreciated the expert help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome, glad it worked :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

need to replace drivers that were lost also ton of registry errros

HP Recommended

Hie guys

my HP laptop was stolen with valuable data and personal information. I currently live in Zimbabwe.It was stolen whilst travelling to South Africa.

it was an HP Pavilion g6-1141sd,[personal information removed]

any suggestions and help is greately appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.