Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thanks again. If I could check the procedure with you. I'll fit new HDD. Boot from recovery discs.Will I then need to format and partition or will the Acronis Backup perform that function? I've taken an image of the 3 partitions on the faulty drive.

HP Recommended

Hi

Fit new HDD, (not sure your exact specification, but a manual is here and may help http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02770268).  Your HP disks should do everything, albeit a 3 hr wait.

Then you have a working system and would want to locate the paragon recovery app, probably on the first disk and initiate.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I'll keep this thread open until I've reinstalled and let you know how it goes.Old HDD now seems on tthe point of death.Can't complain,label says it was manufactured in 2011. New one on order.

HP Recommended

@bren794 wrote:

Hi Thank you once again for the replies. Sorry I'm late getting back-been busy making sure everything is backed up before pulling the plug on the old HDD.I use this lap top for for accounts, emailing, and some video editing. I don't use it for gaming. I'm not too concerned about the warranty. The existing HDD 5400 rpm has been ok for my needs and until recently as the HDD began to play up speed has been OK. I don't think I want more heat produced as the fan goes quite frequently as it is ( I'm going to take the opportunity to give the vents a good clean when I remove the HDD). I'm leaning towards a straight replacement-5400rpm. From what I've described do you think I need a 7200 rpm? Would I notice a substantial improvement in performance?

Once again many thanks.

I do believe there would be an improvement as WD Black is a performance drive compared to the everyday WD Blue drive, but I wouldn't be expecting anything dramatic such as results you'd get from a SSD. Both options are good and you should be fine with either of them. you may take into consideration other things such as warranty, price, etc. 🙂

Captain_WD.

HP Recommended

Hi again. Just wanted to let you know replacement HDD went well.I opted for a 750Gb 5400 rpm WD. Laptop now back up and running. Many thanks for all your help.It was very much appreciated. 

HP Recommended

Hey 🙂 Thanks for the update!

I'm glad to see that everything went fine and smooth!

Feel free to post back if you happen to encounter other issues or simply have other questions! 🙂

Cheers!

Captain_WD.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I'll close the thread and start another query regarding RAM.

HP Recommended

Excellent result, well done.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.