Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 15-ak112nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to install a ssd m2 units. Currently my hdd has two partitions, C (operating system) and D (recovery partition).

I have already created the Recovery DVD.

Now I would like to install from scratch the operating system on ssd drives m2 and use the hard drive to hold the data.

On ssd m2 I have to clone the recovery partition?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't understand the question. I assume you downloaded a DVD image from Microsoft Media Creation Tool. You remove the hard drive from your system and just have the M.2 in there. Run the Windows 10 install. Then put the hard drive back in. Install drivers and apps from the swsetup folder at the root of the old drive. Once you get the computer just as you like it, with drivers, apps, etc. Then we use the Windows 10 backup and recovery function to make a system image bootable recovery disk which you can add to as you go along so you always have a "live" restore option. That is how I do it and most advanced users do the same. Always be backed up as disaster can strike anytime out of nowhere. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The Recovery DVD will put a recovery partition on the M.2 but you can remove it after installation. The M.2 is also going to have to be large enough. The Recovery DVD needs a minimum sized disk to work. What size hard drive did you have and what size M.2 are you installing? 

HP Recommended

Huffer beat me to it ...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@Huffer hdd is 1TB while m2 is 256GB. But I install the operating system with the ISO from the Microsoft website. Then to recreate the recovery partition as I do?

@WAWood what never mind?

HP Recommended

If you use the Microsoft Win 10 .iso image you will get a clean new install no recovery partition. Your old hard drive has all drivers and original apps in the C:\swsetup folder which you can then reinstall. You do not really need the recovery partition, there are lots of ways in Windows 10 to make a bootable system image to use for reinstallation. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer, i know, but now these DVDs for recovery, if I do a clean installation, what do I need?

So, with and clean installation, can't i create the recovery partion?

HP Recommended

I don't understand the question. I assume you downloaded a DVD image from Microsoft Media Creation Tool. You remove the hard drive from your system and just have the M.2 in there. Run the Windows 10 install. Then put the hard drive back in. Install drivers and apps from the swsetup folder at the root of the old drive. Once you get the computer just as you like it, with drivers, apps, etc. Then we use the Windows 10 backup and recovery function to make a system image bootable recovery disk which you can add to as you go along so you always have a "live" restore option. That is how I do it and most advanced users do the same. Always be backed up as disaster can strike anytime out of nowhere. 

HP Recommended

Ok now i understand.  So the recovery partition on the HDD that I no longer needed. Just create a recovery with the backup and recovery of Windows 10. Right?

HP Recommended

By Jove, I think you've got it.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.