Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP PAVILION 15-ab115la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought a new HP Pavilion last week, it included windows 10.

I used to work with Windows 7 and I'would like to downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7, is it possible? are there any disvantages?

Worth to mention that I have a legal key for Windows 7.

Additional, I know that the Windows 10 key is "incrusted" in BIOS, so, If I downgrade to Windows 7 and then go back to Windows 10, the key value is not going to be required because it's inside BIOS?

Or do I have to get the value with a tool?

Thank you, 

BR,

Jose Herrera

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I used to work with Windows 7 and I'would like to downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7, is it possible? are there any disvantages?

You aren't really downgrading, because Microsoft "Downgrade Rights" only apply to Windows Pro/Business. You are just installing a different version of Windows on your computer. Yes, it is possible!!! Yes, there are disadvantages... such as lack of HP driver support

You will need to use a unused valid PID key and COA to legally install Windows 7 on your new computer.

Additional, I know that the Windows 10 key is "incrusted" in BIOS, so, If I downgrade to Windows 7 and then go back to Windows 10, the key value is not going to be required because it's inside BIOS? Or do I have to get the value with a tool?

Using the HP Recovery Media you create before modifying anything on the computer... you should have no issue returning the computer to a factory like state, if you wish.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You aren't really downgrading, because Microsoft "Downgrade Rights" only apply to Windows Pro/Business. You are just installing a different version of Windows on your computer. Yes, it is possible!!! Yes, there are disadvantages... such as lack of HP driver support

You will need to use a unused valid PID key and COA to legally install Windows 7 on your new computer.

Additional, I know that the Windows 10 key is "incrusted" in BIOS, so, If I downgrade to Windows 7 and then go back to Windows 10, the key value is not going to be required because it's inside BIOS? Or do I have to get the value with a tool?

Using the HP Recovery Media you create before modifying anything on the computer... you should have no issue returning the computer to a factory like state, if you wish.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.