09-21-2009 08:39 PM
My niece brought this machine by, having been told by best Buy simply: You need to buy a new computer.
It boots up to Vista fine, but she left me no passwords.
I booted out to <f12> and CHKDSK seems to be progressing OK...
Booting from disk, how can I access a complete set of diagnostics to check everything out?
Thanks very much.
09-22-2009 07:24 AM
Would you make your post a lot more specific?
What doesn't work?
Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
09-22-2009 07:05 PM
I wasn't able to be more specific at the time, but what I've seen since my post was erratic boot behavior. The first time I powered it up, it booted to Vista. Several times since, it appears to start the boot sequence, but hangs before the HP or Vista screens come up. Simply doesn't boot up about half the rime, I'd say. CHKDSK yielded no anomalies. Memory check was OK. Brought it up and and did a complete scan (Norton); found nothing.
She hadn't used the machine in a month. There are three restore points set since I've been troubleshooting over last 24 hours or so. Earliest restore point is Vista SP2 Upgrade.
What I was looking for was a complete set of diagnostics. Thanks for your response.
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)