Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Presario F700
Microsoft Windows Vista

I would like to know if I can upgrade this OS to 64 bit in order to utilize 4 Gig of RAM.

This model, Presario F700 comes with Vista 32 and is advertised as only being able to utilize 2 Gig of RAM- is this due to the OS or will the hardware recognize 4 Gig if OS is a 64 bit.....Win 7 64 for example?

Thanks in advance....chuck50

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That older SSD should work OK...your laptop is in the newer generation of the F700 so the chipset does support native SATA, SATA-150 (slowest) only I believe. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Need to know exact model. It might be an Intel Core Duo as opposed to a Core 2 Duo which is a 32 bit processor and cannot run a 64 bit OS regardless. The BIOS might recognize 4 gigs of RAM but the 32 bit OS can only actually address something like 3.25 or 3.5 gigs. The AMD models are 64 bit processors but the early ones F749 and lower are hardware limited to 2 gigs of RAM but are known to be able to run 3 gigs but not 4. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response,  This model has the AMD Turion 64 TL58 1.9GHZ, so at least it is a 64 bit processor. Now, if I can get the chipset to play nice with 4 gigs of RAM........I plan on swapping out the HDD with an SSD as well, should run like a new 'puter.......Win7Ult 64, 4 gigs RAM and an Intel SSD, with a little luck....

Thanks again-Chuck

HP Recommended

No it will not run like a new computer. It would still be good to know the model number as the ones 749 and lower do not even fully support native SATA (ahci) so an SSD will not be able to run properly. 

HP Recommended

Very good info to know, This one is Model F756NR. do you have any advice as far as installing a Intel SSD 80 gig, one of the first Intel SSD's as I recall. I have installed similar drives on older notebooks (ASUS-Pentium) and have encountered unexpected CPU usage issues.

Thanks again for your insight......Chuck

HP Recommended

That older SSD should work OK...your laptop is in the newer generation of the F700 so the chipset does support native SATA, SATA-150 (slowest) only I believe. 

HP Recommended

very good, and thanks again for the advice.

Chuck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.