Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-j048tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I had Windows 8 64-bit installed in My HP Envy 15-j048tx and everything was working fine. I dual Booted My laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

I had to Boot into Ubuntu by pressing ESC Key as soon as I Powered On the Laptop, If I wouldnt, then the Laptop would boot into Windows 8.1

I had turned Off the Hybrid Shutdown so as to access partitions on Ubuntu.

After Dual Booting, My Windows 8.1 started giving problem as none of the Updates were getting installed after dual booting.

Everytime, it downloaded the Updates and then, ERROR appeared that the Updates weren't installed. If Restarted, it came "Problem while Updating WIndows, Reverting back changes"

I refreshed my windows again (By selecting Refresh Your PC) but then also, the updates were not getting installed.

Kindly help me with this problem as my laptop doesn't have the necessary updates as it has reverted back and all my applications have been removed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did by myself.....

Reinstalled everything. First Windows (Legacy Mode, not UEFI) and then installed Ubuntu...

Grub took over and now it is working fine....

Thanks anyways 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

FYI, I already tried Deleting the Data Present in the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder and then restarting and refreshin the Windows Update but nothing Worked.....

Even Refreshing Winows didn't worked...

So, the problem is different

HP Recommended

Hi

The obvious ones to help are...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/windows-8-update-doesnt-work-at-al...

Try the methods and check after each method:

Method 1: Refer the steps suggested under the section “What can I do if I'm having problems installing updates?" from the link below: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-update-faq

Method 2: Troubleshoot problems with installing updates:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates

Method 3: Check in “clean boot mode”, to disable startup programs.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)      In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c)      Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d)      On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.

e)      On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.

f)       On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g)      Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)      In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c)      On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d)      When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 4: Perform System File Checker (SFC) scan, to repair the missing/corrupted system files.

a)      Move the mouse pointer to bottom left of the screen where you see preview of start menu and Right-click to bring up a list of Windows settings.

b)      Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ to bring up an elevated command prompt. Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for permission.

c)      In the command prompt type in the following command and then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

If the issue persists, post your reply with results and questions asked as above. We are happy to assist you further with advanced troubleshooting steps!

Hope it helps.

HP Recommended

I already tried everything but nothing works.....

i tried SFC and the Safe Mode method too but none of them helped me in Instaling Windows Updates

HP Recommended

Hi

Well look on the bright side, no more troublesome updates.

The system you have will remain stable for a long time to come.

HP Recommended

Did by myself.....

Reinstalled everything. First Windows (Legacy Mode, not UEFI) and then installed Ubuntu...

Grub took over and now it is working fine....

Thanks anyways 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.