Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 4520S
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP Probook 4520S laptop is rather old, but still works well. I've been running Linux on it for several years now. However, I now need to re-install Windows: I'll probably create a VM. I still have the original disks supplied by HP. However, I can't read the licence number/product key as the sticker (on the bottom of the laptop) is too worn. Microsoft say that I must contact the OEM, which is why I'm writing this.

What can I do? Can you send me a new licence number? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

So, you are running W7 in a virtual environment?

Unfortunately, I don't know how that works.  I've only run XP in a virtual environment with W7 installed on the hard drive.

That is supported by Microsoft, so I didn't need a XP product key for that setup.

The HP-supplied W7 installation disk should work without the need of entering a product key, and should not need to be activated if you are installing it on the hard drive as a clean (custom) install.

So yes, if you didn't install W7 on the hard drive, then it doesn't like it, and would need a product key to be activated.

I would be very shocked if HP sends you a product key, but I guess you have nothing to lose by calling them and asking.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

This is a peer to peer forum.  HP maintains no official presence here.

You would have to contact HP technical support and see what your options are.  I highly doubt they will issue you a product key.

In the USA/Canada, call this number... 1-800-334-5144

If you have the original W7 recovery disk set that HP provided, you shouldn't need a product key anyway.

The disks are pre-activated and should work without a product key because they verify the PC is a valid PC to use the pre-activated software on.

I have never had to enter a product key on any of my HP business desktop or notebook PC's when I used the HP-supplied installation media to reinstall Windows.

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your reply. I've set up the VM with Windows 7 and it tells me that I've got 3 days to activate it. The disc says "For Distribution Only With a New HP or Compaq PC". Perhaps it's upset that I'm running on a VM?

I really, really don't like Microsoft :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

So, you are running W7 in a virtual environment?

Unfortunately, I don't know how that works.  I've only run XP in a virtual environment with W7 installed on the hard drive.

That is supported by Microsoft, so I didn't need a XP product key for that setup.

The HP-supplied W7 installation disk should work without the need of entering a product key, and should not need to be activated if you are installing it on the hard drive as a clean (custom) install.

So yes, if you didn't install W7 on the hard drive, then it doesn't like it, and would need a product key to be activated.

I would be very shocked if HP sends you a product key, but I guess you have nothing to lose by calling them and asking.

HP Recommended
I'll give it a try. Thanks for your help!
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Maybe HP will surprise me, and issue you a product key.

HP Recommended

There is a free downloadable program called "Belarc Advisor". It will interogate your entire computer and give you not only the product key but information about everything in your computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.