Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

my laptop fails to recover , i get an error message 

Recovery

your PC needs to be repaired 

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc0000185

you will need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. if you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device ) contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

press enter to try again

press f8 for startup settings

press Esc for UEFI firmware settings

the problem is that i bought the laptop with the windows installed so i don't have the installation media.

what can i do to get my laptop to work ?

Note:

the original windows which came with the laptop is windows 8 and i have upgraded it to windows 8.1

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

This code indicates that the boot loader files are damaged or missing, and can also mean that your hard drive is failing.

First, please follow the instructions in this post to confirm your hard drive is OK:  Testing a Hard Disk from the BIOS | HP® Customer Support

If the drive has failed, you will need to replace it and then order HP Recovery Media to restore your PC.

IF the drive has not failed, then you need to rebuild the boot loader files from Win10 installation media.

You can create the media from this link: http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/reinstall-windows-8-or-10-with-the-media-creation-tool/

This link is for Win8 : http://www.windowswally.com/how-to-fix-error-code-0xc0000185/

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.