Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Guys, I cant complete succesfully my system recovery.

Here is an event-by-event detail (I have a DV5 Pavilion):

- I Complete Recovery (Recovery is complete message appears......."Once your system restarts and you finish the inital...")
- I restart
- CMD.exe window appears
- Software Installation HP window appears
- It restarts, black window with HP Logo, then Microsoft Corporation (windows starting)
- "Please wait while Windows sets up your computer" (Black screen)
- Please wait WHile Windows Continues setting up your computer (light blue screen)
- Restarts again
- black screen, mouse pointer, windows logo appears, start sound (Welcome Screen appears.....Vista Home Premium)
- Windows setup window............."Windows is now setting up the following items:
Pre-PININST (Check)
Preinstall Software Installer
Pre-PININST2
Preinstall software Installer 2nd
Post PININST
AC Power Checking
BurnBoot

(All this with a HP on the back screen, with the grey completation bar)

-Takes long time to complete the second task (Preinstall Software Installer).
- Restarts (logging off, shutting down....)
- Black screen, white pointer again
- Windows "Welcome" screen again

Now, when it is in the "Windows is now setting up the following items:
- Pre-PININST2

An Recovery Manager window appears saying that "The recovery attempt has failed. Please select one of the following buttons:
Details or Retry

When I hit details, it appears the following:
- ChkErrBB.CMD: Detect some error during PININST-BBV.
- ChKErrBB.CMD: Check C:/system.sav/logs/BurnBootWarn.log

I hit retry and the DVD/CD open and it restarted the machine

And Again back to the "Welcome to the Recovery Manager" original screen.

How can I solve this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found away past it. Just close the window with the "X". Don't hit retry or it will just keep starting over. The box will appear a few more times during the process, but just keep hitting X and it should go through. Worked for me!

I'm not sure if there are features or files missing because of the errors, but the system seems to work fine so far.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

Do you have an update on this issue?

I am also attempting to use restore DVD to do a system restore but get the same exact errors - did you manage to solve this?

HP Recommended

I found away past it. Just close the window with the "X". Don't hit retry or it will just keep starting over. The box will appear a few more times during the process, but just keep hitting X and it should go through. Worked for me!

I'm not sure if there are features or files missing because of the errors, but the system seems to work fine so far.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I am just writing to thank you, you are really a life saver i have been trying for over 48 hrs to get my daughters laptop working again and it was really as simple as pressing a lil cross in a red square...lol

Thanks again 

HP Recommended

BEFORE you run (or re-run) the system restore, restart and hit F10 to get to the BIOS boot menu then F9 to restore factory default settings then run restore again....

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I have a situation very similar to Marguinhos' except I have an HP Pavilion dv6700 using Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

I do a full System Recovery from disk (failed numerous times now) and when I get to one of the final installation processes(?) I get a grey box titled "Windows Setup" with NO "X" button. In it reads:

(green check mark) Pre-PININST2

Preinstall Software Installer 2nd

Post PININST

Burnboot

I then get a BSOD (BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER.... STOP: 0x000000FE....) and the laptop restarts and sends me to the screen with the options to start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc. Selecting any Safe Mode gives me a prompt that says:

Windows cannot complete installion in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer.

Starting normally gives:

Windows could not complete the installion. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installion.

I ran a diagnostic test (F10) in BIOS, hard drive is fine. I'm certain it's not the disk since I've used it once before (the first time a couple of years back) and it's in great condition. This may or may be a factor: I'm using a PC monitor since the laptop backlight burned out.

Any help is very much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Thank you your info. was very helpfull.

HP Recommended
hey, i had the same problem at first with my laptop. This is what i did, i took out the hard drive from my computer and got myself a hard drive enclosure witch i paid $7.99 on Amazon.com.

Then after plugging the hard drive to the HD Enclosure i format the HD but not the (HP Recovery) one.

After i got that done i put my HD back in my laptop and ran the the Recovery again, and it worked for me so i hope it works for you too.
HP Recommended

I encountered the same error when fixing a client's machine after replacing a faulty CPU.  The initial failure occurred after booting and loading the Recovery disk set.  I restarted with F11, selected restore from recovery partition and then made sure that I selected  "Restart later" on all prompts and the install completed successfully.

HP Recommended

It is not an X at the top right (close sign) in my computer only says:

The recovery attemp has failed. Select on of the followinf buttons:

Save Log                     Details                  Retry

Details:

Detect some error during pininst_bbv

Check C:\system.sav\logs\burnbootwarn.log

HP Pavilion dv4-1514dx

Windows 7 home premium

I did change the hd and reinstal using the set of disks (2)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.