Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Dv7-6165US
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I ordered the Recovery Media kit for laptop, and received it yesterday. It starts to go through the Factory Image Recovery Preparation, but errors out with the following error: "Windows cannot find 'D:\System.sav\Util\RStone.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I believe this file is related to Rosetta Stone software I installed on the laptop, but the recovery shouldn't be trying to do anything but erase that to restore to factory settings. I also never typed anything related to that file, so I'm not sure why it's saying this. Because I've started the Recovery process already, the notebook won't allow me to access the files, to just delete the problem file. How can I get this to work?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I really need to get this working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

Most probably the recovery media that you received is corrupt. Contact HP support or the seller you purchased the media from and ask for a free replacement as this one is not working

Just to be on the safe side, please, also perform some basic hardware checks (test the HDD)

1. Shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics  (or the respective Fxxx option)  . Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD and RAM check.

Let me know the test results. If the tests pass without issues, continue and check for the replacement media from HP or the other seller.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

Most probably the recovery media that you received is corrupt. Contact HP support or the seller you purchased the media from and ask for a free replacement as this one is not working

Just to be on the safe side, please, also perform some basic hardware checks (test the HDD)

1. Shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics  (or the respective Fxxx option)  . Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD and RAM check.

Let me know the test results. If the tests pass without issues, continue and check for the replacement media from HP or the other seller.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
I ran the tests, and they all passed with no problems. Do I just call the HP customer service? I can't contact online apparently. I've tried several times and it just tells me my warranty is expired.
HP Recommended

Thanks for posting back.

Please, contact HP the same way you contacted them the first time (or you didn't contact them ? Just used the web ordering ?)

Can you contact HP with chat option despite the message that says the warning has expired ?

If you are from America, the phone in the USA should be 1-800-334-5144  but I am not sure if this will work (this one is for business devices).

For consumer devices like yours, it should be 1-800-474-6836 (1-800-HP INVENT)

Try these and let me know if this works.

HP-Phone-numbers.png

HP Recommended
I just used the Web ordering, and when I try to contact them online, the chat option has never shown, since my laptop is out of warranty. Thank you for the numbers, I will give them a call to get a replacement.
HP Recommended

You are most welcome. 🙂 Keep me updated

HP Recommended

So, after speaking with HP (3 separate times by the time I got the correct person/department), I have found out that HP does not support any laptop over 5 years old. So despite the fact that their website offered up the replacement media based on my serial number, it turns out they don't actually have one that will work. So they are refunding my money for that. What they're not doing is helping with the problem that the recovery media caused. Before attempting the recovery, my laptop worked, albeit not very well. It was usable. Now, since the recovery process started, it is not usable.

I'm currently working with someone local who is better with computers than I am, who says the problem has something to do with a BIOS on the motherboard of my computer. Apparently, HP is notorious for changing the BIOS on the motherboard for how they interact with Windows, so that when something goes wrong after 5 years, they can say, "We don't support that laptop anymore," and you have to go buy a new one. He believes he can fix the laptop with a clean copy of Windows, but I can guarantee I will never buy a HP laptop again knowing the things I know now. And never have I had such a go around trying to get in contact with a company.

Thank you for trying to help with this issue!

HP Recommended

Hi @cmiller52816

Thank you for posting back. I'd really like to help you fix this.

I am sorry for your issues. It's not that this is the HP forum and it's not because I am HP expert... but.. I can assure you that HP products are one of the best (if not the very best) of them all. During my IT career I have gained experience with all kind of PC vendors and HP is simply the best (both company and products).

No, the problem is unlikely to be caused by BIOS. This is a recovery media issue (simple one - like wrong one was sent by mistake OR it was just corrupted somehow... such things may happen from time to time).

Since you are getting a refund , here is the correct one you can purchase (it contains pure and simple Windows, drivers for your model and some preinstalled apps) >>> http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-21329-recovery-kit-656006-002-for-hp-pavilion-entertainment-notebo...

This is a 3rd party company (reliable one) that provides recovery media and seems they have a media for your model (yes, it is an old one). Please, check the URL and work with them to purchase the media.

What your friend have suggested about clean Windows installation will work - yes, probably it will work but you need to also have this media and depending on the one used, you may also need a separate licence (not sure what your friend suggested exactly).

HP may not officially support very old devices via the official support channel ( I guess they may support some with paid support, simply not a free support) but that's why there is a HP forum full of experts and users willing to help, HP has a social media channels (Twitter/FB...) where you can also get a support.

You are welcome !

HP Recommended
Thanks for the link, I will look into that website. What the representative told me on the phone is they won't support the older computers, period, even with the paid support. I do know technology changes and gets better super fast, but with the amount of money I spent to get an HP (which I had heard was one of the best), I expected it to last a little longer than this, and I expected them to stand by their product a bit better. I'm hoping to get this one back up and running, so I don't have to go buy a new one! I'm ratherattached to this one, as I still love some of the features it has.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.