Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Since that PC came with Windows 7, you can save allot of heartache by cloning the old drive to the new.  I like to to an external USB to SATA adapter to connect the old drive to to make the clone.  Similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B01J7MWD4M/ref=sr_1_10?s=electr...

I also use Acronis software, but if you but a WD drive they have a cloning software on their website that is also a Acronis software

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Since that PC came with Windows 7, you can save allot of heartache by cloning the old drive to the new.  I like to use an external USB to SATA adapter to connect the old drive to to make the clone.  Similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B01J7MWD4M/ref=sr_1_10?s=electr...

I also use Acronis software, but if you but a WD drive they have a cloning software on their website that is also a Acronis software

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I already  have the adapter and the new HDD is WD, so this should be okay.

Dave

HP Recommended

Yes, just download the software and start it up.  If using the software without a CD startup disk, the new drive will need to be connected to the USB to SATA adapter.  I like to clone in the start up envieonment that Acronis makes but it will work the other way too, from the Windows desktop.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I have the new WD drive  plugged into the SATA-USB adapter, the lights on the adapter cable indicate that the data connection is okay and the new drive is humming gently, so the power is okay.  However, the Clone Disk function on Acronis reports an error 'Unable to continue.  You have only one drive...'

I have gone into Disk Managment which has confirmed I only have one HDD. 

I would have thought that I should be able to access the new HDD by this method.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dave

HP Recommended

That is interesting.  With the USB adapter plugged in, does the new drive via USB show up in the "this PC" windows?

Does your USB to SATA adapter have a power supply other than from the USB port?  I think some drives require more power than the USB port can provide.  Can you power the new drive from the PC's power supply?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

The new HDD has now been installed and works perfectly,  The SATA-USB link cable wasn't pushed firmly into the socket.  Easy job to do and it just took a bit of effort from me, with your help! 

Many thanks, Dave

HP Recommended

Great !!  Glad to help

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello! I have read all the previous messages and am having no luck reinstalling Windows 10 on my 

HP Notebook - 15-af131dx (ENERGY STAR) after I replaced the hardrive. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool but can't get it to work either using a dvd I burned or a thumb drive. Any help would be appreciated!

HP Recommended

If the Media Creation Tool made the install media, it should work with any functioning PC.  Please explain what you do to try to install Windows 10 from the media and how the PC responds.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.