Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

cant find cettings...?

HP Recommended

Hi all HP users

I had the same problem as described here with HP ProtectTools Security Manager preventing me from an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 SP1 on my Probook 5330m, and I was also unable to uninstall the program because of other HP Utilities.

I found this advice on another thread, which solved the problems:

First, I downloaded and installed the freeware CCleaner.

In CCleaner click on Tools, then Uninstall. This will list all the visible and hidden programs in the windows registry.

First try to uninstall HP ProtectTools. it will get to a certain point and tell you you'll need to uninstall something else first, note what it tells you, cancel the HP ProtectTools uninstall. Then go back to the list of programs in CCleaner. Here you can find the programs mentioned in the error message window from the unsuccesfull uninstallation like Embedded Security for HP ProtectTools and Face Recognition for HP ProtectTools and Theft Recovery etc., then uninstall what it told you. Reboot & Repeat until you're able to uninstall HP ProtectTools. Finally I was able to uninstall HP ProtectTools.

And then my upgrade to Windows 10 was succesfull....

My only loss was the fingerprint recognition facility, but Windows kept my codename access.

HP Recommended

link mentioned does not lead

HP Recommended

For whom it may concern,

I have been posting this issue because of the problems I have been facing trying to update one of my notebooks, a EliteBook 8560w.

In my other notebook, a EliteBook 8540w, a little bit older than the other one, I had reserved the Windows 10 upgrade and waited for the update to come naturally.

Yesterday in Windows Update, there was a message to shut down the notebook to install an update.

I have done this and it installed Windows 10 Pro. The good thing is that I had installed HP ProtectTools and all the security plug-ins!

HP Recommended

thanks i will try it

HP Recommended

Been following many threads about this issue.

My fix was to download an uninstaller from:  www.advanceduninstaller.com       It's free

Follow the basic instructions and you can uninstall the Security Manager and all the other files that are required to be removed first.

I am still in the process of the W10 upgrade, so don't know if I hurt anything yet.  However, the fingerprint thing is irrelevant to me, I didn't have it to begin with.

I'll report back about my W10 success.

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I had the HP ProtectTools in 2 notebooks.

One of those, as I already said in a post, got the Windows 10 upgrade and didn't need to uninstall nothing.

The other one was very problematic. In order to be able to upgrade I had to uninstall everything related to HP ProtecTools, even the Embedded Security. I have disable the pre-boot biometric login in the Bios to avoid problems.

The good thing was that in Windows 10, I have installed the last version of HP Client Security Manager, SoftPaq 68157, and all my biometric loggins for websites were there!

I just had to register my fingerprints in HP Client Security Manager, and from there enable pre-boot.

At the end everything was running smothly.

HP Client Security Manager at: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp68001-68500/sp68157.exe

HP Recommended

When I try to remove this I get Error 1325. Hewlett-Packard isnot a valid short for a file name.

So it will not uninstall.  

HP Recommended

I need to uninstall this from SAFE mode as no normal mode login works! Continue to get HRESULT 0x80074003 for local or domain login - both logins work in SAFE mode but not normal mode?

HP Recommended

Thank you very much indeed - on my EliteBook 850 G1 your SoftPaq 68157 link and enabling pre-boot worked perfectly.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.