Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Windows 7 Enterprise, x64.

I need to do a repair upgrade from within Windows 7, so I can keep all my programs and settings and still have a clean system. This normally works like a charm.

BUT, this time it's an HP laptop;

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=nl&prodNameId=3355687&...

taskId=135&swEnvOID=4060#7887 .

Starting the Windows 7 upgrade, I get an error that I have to remove HP Protect Tools. Trying to remove it, gives that I have to remove;

BIOS Configuration for HP Protect Tools
File Sanitizer for HP Protect tools
HP Embedded Security for Protect Tools
Privacy Manager for HP Protect Tools.

Trying to remove BIOS Tools, gives following error:

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vender. (OK).

Re-installing sp44830.exe (4.5 MB) failed with the same error : (

I'll keep this thread as a reference and I'll repost anything I find out, but any feedback GREATLY appreciated!!!

Peace!

Devvie

~~~ devnullius@googlewave.com ~~~

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare 
------
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! - (© 95-1 by Coredump; 2-10 by DevNullius)

HP Recommended

This is what I did.

First, FileUnlocker 1.8.8 & 1.8.9 do not offer right-click in x64 windows 7 enterprise.

So I just removed what I could in the BIOS Configuration's installation folder. One file will remain.

Rename that file.

Rename the parent folder.

Both is allowed.

Reboot. Remove folder.

Now, the program is gone. BUT I am unable to get it out of my add/remove programs. Even TuneUp's Registry Cleaner did not solve this. It's ok for me, for now : )

All the other programs can be uninstalled without any further problems.

Thanx! And sorry if I left out some important details...

HP Recommended

Still, the Windows 7 upgrade insisted that I had to remove HP Protect-Tools.

I don't know what I exactly did further, but I finally can start the windows 7 update.

I removed Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools Service, 3D Guard (whatever it is) and did some more Registry Cleaning, also renamed 2 folders/files to remove all program folders (folders; \Drive Encryption & \HP ProtectTools Security Manager).

Just to be sure, some info links:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/52f56bb2-d9c8-4645-8cd9-a52d3e39...

http://www.google.nl/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=windows+7+upgrade+hp+protecttools

So if your are sweating, don't believe HP that it cannot be done (http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/mda/windows7/upgrade/Windows7_BusinessNotebooks_v1.pdf). Just remove all sheit that you think is security related; do some file renaming & rebooting and you'll be done. Honoust : P

Peace!

Devvie

HP Recommended

After the Windows 7 x64 Enterprise upgrade, I got a new error:

"windows security the server is not responding properly verify that credential manager server is properly installed on the target server".

But there is good news: you can still log-on (Vista/7)!

From: http://www.tomstricks.com/how-tofix-the-system-could-not-access-the-credential-manager-server-in-win...

"

Second Solution:

At the Windows Vista login screen, do the following:

• Choose “log in as different user”
  • Click “log on with Wizard”.This will bring up a new login window where you can specify you username, Domain, and password.
  • In the bottom left corner of this window is a button labeled “More” Click it, and check the box labeled “Do not logon to Credential Manager”
  • Write your username, password and domain in the respective places and log on.
  • After successful logon, UNINSTALL CREDENTIAL MANAGER!

If you don’t, you will have to repeat the procedure next time you start up your PC again!".

All other options are unavailable to me (not even Safe Mode, it just reboots). Also, removing the service from the registry did not work, for it was not there 😞 (good news: regedit.exe works in Repair cmd prompt:).

So this is how I solved it all:

I log on as described above, then I re-installed HP ProtecTools Security Manager Suite (SP44868.exe). No more errors, and log-on works again!

To finish it all off, I did a registry clean and I did (from elevated cmd prompt) sfc /scannow . Just to be sure everything is as clean as it could be.

Fnish it off with a new System Restore Point and enjoy your fresh Windows 7 install : )

More info, for whom is concerned - including detailed instructions-on-how-to-remove-all-HP-security-software;

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-157063-windows-security-problem .

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-remove-an-unwanted-service/ (sc.exe not available in Repair-cmd prompt).

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-general/161664-vista-cant-log-creden... (last posts).

One extra remark: WIndows 7 has a newly introduced Security Manager too! Do not confuse the two! Always check for "HP"-word...

Last remark: HP, when will you finally learn how to make decent software? I loved HP-UX (v. 9, 10, 11) but your printer software and now this.. SIgh. Please change :))

Thanx and peace,

Devvie!

HP Recommended

@ devnullius

3D guard is the software that protects your hard drive in case you drop your laptop.

HP Recommended

@haggis; thanx - I re-installed SP45248.exe .

Peace!

HP Recommended

Everytime I try to install the ProtectTools Security Manager (sp47500.exe) on my 8540w Win7 64 Ult, I get an "error 1001"

Can't find anything about this anywhere.

It would be find if it didn't pop me a message at each login saying something like do you want to "logon without biometric funcionalities" or "wait 30 more secondes"

Did call HP support, they said they didn't have an answer for it.

HP ProtectTools was previously installed on the system and working. The uninstall didn't work smooth and I am stuck unable to reinstall it. It also doesn't show in the programs.

Any registry key to remove?

Any uninstaller program?

Thank for any help on this one.

Olivier

HP Recommended

i need to deactivate drive encryption for hp tools, tired of signing on 3 times. my laptop is always at home, so there wont be any filles stolen. i just want it off and just the normal windows sign in. please help. i cant find where to deactivate it

HP Recommended

How to uninstall HP ProtectTools?

First you will need to uninstall some programs which are connected with it from your system.

To do this you will need to have installation file of your current HP ProtectTools Security Manager software version.

(You may find it in C:\swsetup folder if you still have it or on your specific model support pages.)

Extract it with 7-Zip(free) or WinRar.

Go to paths:

• ...\sp*****\PTAC\AC620X86 (32 bit system) or ...\sp*****\PTAC\AC620X64 (64 bit system) - Active Client and run AC620x64.exe file there. Select remove/uninstall.
  • ...\sp*****\PTCRM - Credential Manager and run setup.exe file there. Select remove/uninstall.
  • ...\sp*****\PTFPDRV\x86 (32 bit system) or ...\sp*****\PTFPDRV\x64 (64 bit system) - Fingerprint driver and run AT8Min.exe file there. Select remove/uninstall.
  • ...\sp*****\PTFVE\x86 (32 bit system) or ...\sp*****\PTFVE\x64 (64 bit system) - Drive Encryption and run HpClient86.exe or HpClient64.exe file there. Select remove/uninstall.
  • ...\sp*****\PTJSC - Java Card and run PTJSC.exe file there. Select remove/uninstall.

Notes:

1. In place of  ' ***** ' you will have some kind of numbers.

2. Not every software from above list may be required to uninstall. If something is not listed after extracting installtion file then this means then you just need to skip not needed step.

3. You may use this method to uninstall even only one add-on from above list. For example Drive Encryption.

4. Never use any reg cleaner to uninstall HP ProtectTools. If you tried this solution and have problems then restore you system to previous point and use procedure which is posted by me.

When you will do everything from above steps then use standard uninstallation process to uninstall HP ProtectTools.

Resource:
Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

How to uninstall or change a program in Vista

How to change or remove a program in Windows XP

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

we have a fully installed computer, I have an image, to make use Sysprep image but when I went up the computer to which you made the image will not let me log in, if there is any way to make a bypass to Protect Tools or recommendations, I do not want formatio machine as there are data.

THANK YOU!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.