Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy m6
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have been trying to do a factory reset on my friend's laptop and it keeps telling me restoration incomplete.  I got into the BIOS and put the restore usb first in the boot order, went through the whole process again and same thing.

Before we tried this, when she started her laptop, it would show the following message:

SMART Hard Drive Error

THe SMART hard dish check has detected an imminent failure.  To ensure not data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.

Hard Disk 1 (301)

F2 System Diagnostics

ENTER - Continue Startup

For more information, please visit: www.hp/go/techcenter/startup

I am wondering if we need to replace the hard drive.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sounds like a dying hard drive. Have you tried F2 System Diagnostics and run the hard drive test?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Sounds like a dying hard drive. Have you tried F2 System Diagnostics and run the hard drive test?

HP Recommended
Hard drive test failed.
HP Recommended

Time to replace the hard drive. A retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used-Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, etc.

Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use HP Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

HP Recommended
That's what I figured to begin with. I just wanted to find out from someone with more knowledge than I had. So fast forward to purchasing a new hard drive...I had to do this with my own laptop several years ago, but it came with restore disks. I made her restore media on a USB thumb drive. Once I get the drive put in, I can just reboot the computer with the restore media I created and it will do its thing?
HP Recommended

Yes, user created Recovery Media works the same as the one from HP. Good luck with the project!

HP Recommended
Ok. Thanks a lot for your help.
HP Recommended

Ok.  So I replaced the hard drive and did the restore with no problems, but when I try to upgrade to Windows 10, which is what was on there as she did the upgrade not long after it was available for free, it downloads and installs, but after it restarts several times, it seems to get stuck on the HP screen.  If I reboot, it will tell me that there was an error starting Windows, which I assume to be because it never finished setting up everything, but how to we get past this?

HP Recommended

You may have to start over with Recovery again. There may be drivers/software updates that need to be done before the Windows 10 upgrade. Not sure if the owner used HP Support Assistant to do updates or updated manually from the support page. I would put off the Win 10 upgrade until you can determine what updates on Windows 8.1 need to be done.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.