Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all - I decided to create this post to help with any issues with the SDBUS_INTERNAL_ERROR Blue Screen of Death.

What is this "SDBUS" reference?

PLEASE NOTE: This section is mostly informational, as it does get somewhat technical. If you are interested in where the "SDBUS" reference comes from, please read this part. If you would like to see the “how-to” portion of the solution, you can just skip ahead to the next section.

This error message derives from the sdbus.sys driver located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. For more information, I'm going to break it down completely into three sections:

sdbus.sys -> "sd", "bus", ".sys"

SD: Believe it or not, this references and provides support to the Secure Digital (SD) host controllers. It controls what happens when you insert an SD card, for example. Technology has evolved since the common "SD card" was first released, and now provides support to Bluetooth, WLAN and video devices.

BUS: A "BUS" is a system that allows communication and transfer of data between a computer device or multiple computer devices. Think of it as a school bus that brings kids to school and back.

.SYS: Anything with a ".sys" (short for "system file) extension contains important information. If the computer is missing the information from this file, when attempting a certain task, it can cause errors, such as a Blue Screen of Death!

In basic terms, when an SD host controller is created or located, an SD bus driver will created and attached to sdbus.sys, where the required information to run it correctly is contained. If you would like further information on this, please feel free to read this MSDN Microsoft document: SD Card Driver Stack

What can cause an "SDBUS" error?

Restrictions of the Secure Digital device: The SD device might have certain restrictions that the computer does not meet. If so, an error will be generated. If a certain SD device is not support on a device, an error will also be generated.

Malware, Spyware and Viruses: The fact that viruses and malware exist is not unknown. There are even certain malwares that can mock sdbus.sys. Some viruses will create an error when something tries to use sdbus.sys.

Low disk space: Believe it or not, low disk space does cause an sdbus.sys error to occur. It requires a certain amount of space to function correctly. If the required space is not available, an error will be generated.

Registry is missing certain components: The Windows Registry is home to how the computer and operating system operates. If certain keys and inserts are corrupt or missing information about sdbus.sys, an error will occur whenever it is affected.

Faulty Hardware: Certain hardware faults can affect this process, much like anything on a computer, really.

What can you do to try and solve it?

I'm going to provide possible solutions for this issue:

Before you begin – Backup your data:

Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎

Backing Up Your Files (Windows 7)

1. The first solution is to download and apply a HotFix from Microsoft. You can find out what it is and how to use it if you read this Microsoft document: Window 8 may stop responding (hang) when multiple abort commands are sent to an embedded storage dev...

2. Next, I would suggest completing all Windows Updates:

a) Open "Windows Update" in Control Panel.
b) Click "Settings", and then click "Install optional updates".
c) Next, click "Check for updates".

This will ensure that all updates are found and installed. Once they are installed, see whether or not the error returns.

3. If the issue is not resolved at this point, I would like to check the system for obvious corruption with an SFC scan. SFC stands for System File Checker, and it scans and attempts to restore corrupted Windows files.

To do this, open Command Prompt as Administrator. Type in this command and hit Enter afterward: sfc /scannow

Restart computer after this completes.

4. Creating a new Administrator account is a workaround to the issue. If the error does not appear on other accounts, this proves that whatever is causing the error is account-exclusive. I'm going to suggest you unlock the computer's built-in Administrator account.

To do this, open Command Prompt as Administrator, again. Then type in this command and hit Enter afterward: net user administrator /active:yes

5. Another workaround is to use the computer in Safe Mode. I am suggesting this because Safe Mode only uses certain services and drivers, enough for the computer to be functional. For more information on how to use Safe Mode, please review the documentation below, depending on what operating system is on your computer:

Start your computer in safe mode - For Windows 7 and Vista

How to easily enter safe mode in windows 8? - For Windows 8 and 8.1

6. I am going to suggest trying the Windows Error-checking utility. It will allow you to check and narrow down other issues. Here are some instructions on how to do this:

a) Open the Computer screen, where all of your drives are located.

b) Right-click on the C driver and select "Properties".

c) Go to the "Tools" tab, then click on "Check now..." under the "Error-checking section".

7. Next, if the error occurred recently, I would try a System Restore. This will allow you to return the computer to a point (restore point) before the error occurred. If there is a restore point that was created before the error started to occur, you will want to try this.

Please note that if you System Restore Windows 8.1, it may return to Windows 8.

For more information on how to do this, please review the following information, based on your operating system:

What is System Restore? - For Windows 7 and Vista

How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - For Windows 8 and 8.1

8. The next solution is to do a Windows Startup Repair. This will start the computer while repairing other conflicts; it's as simple as that! For more information on how to do this, please reference this Microsoft website: Startup Repair: frequently asked questions

9. The next couple of solutions are related to Windows power settings, since these settings can impact this issue. I am first going to suggest restoring the computer's power settings to their default. It returns the settings to their supported state that is best beneficial to the computer's overall progress.

To do this, you will have to open up Command Prompt as Administrator again. Then hit Enter after you type the following: powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

10. The other power-related solution is to set the power settings to certain specifications. Basically, all you have to do is change the settings so the computer does not go to Sleep. This is to favor the people that witness this Blue Screen only after the computer wakes up. For more information on what to do, please review this Microsoft website: Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions

11. I'm going to suggest updating the BIOS next. I will provide an HP document explaining how to do this: Updating the BIOS

12. Finally, try updating all of the computer's drivers. You can use HP Support Assistant to help with that. I will provide another HP document explaining how to do this: Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers

Final Turn?!

At this point, the issue is either deep into the software and operating system, or deep into the hardware. The final step is to reinstall the operating system. This will refresh it to a certain point, and will eliminate any software or driver conflicts.

Before you do this, please make sure that you backup your files.

Here is the HP document I would suggest you follow when reinstalling the operating system:

Overview of Recovering the OS or Reinstalling the Operating System

If this cannot resolve the issue, the computer will need to be serviced. Calling HP phone support is the final step. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide

And that's all Folks! Thank you for your time - Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.