Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 17z
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have had the titled issue with two brand new notebooks. The first one after less that 3 months of use ...HP finally replaced it and in less than 24 hours later the replacement started doing the same thing. Now I am back to square one. The case manager for this issue ( that has been going on since January 2015 ) wants me to go through all of the same procedures I went through with the first one (which took 3 months by the way) before contacting him again.

The countless phone calls, techs taking over my computer, three times sending it in for repair only to return with the same problem and not once did they TRY uninstalling and reinstalling the OS.

Seriously...is there anyone who knows if this is an HP problem or a Microsoft problem and how can I get HP to fix it? I've seen the long intricate examples on microsoft of people with the same problem but different notebooks...I really don't understand why I should have to risk trying to do all of this on my own when it is A BRAND NEW COMPUTER?

Any help would be appreciated....thanks

BTW: At this point I had only downloaded itunes, firefox, adobe flash and a couple of books from audible all from official sites.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, I've had this problem off and on for a year with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I believe it has now been fixed.

You can read my post about it here: http://allaboutboats.blogspot.com/2015/05/toshiba-satellite-and-bsod-error-system.html

To make a long story short, I had the BSOD while using Firefox. I unchecked the "use hardware acceleration when available" in the Advanced Options and the things that crashed 4 times that night worked OK afterwards.

I thought it was just a Toshiba problem 🙂

Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please provide the product number of your notebook so that i can check the specs and provide solutions specific to your model.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

HP Recommended

Hello,

J7V89AV

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the steps below:

First Uninstall the Graphics Driver & Update From the Below Link:

Use Automatic Detect & Install .

– Step 1 Download and install the latest graphic driver.

– Step 2: Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename atikmdag.sys to atikmdag.sys.old.

– Step 3: Go to ati directory (usually in C:\ATI) and find the file atikmdag.sy_.

– Step 4: Copy the file to your Desktop.

– Step 5: Open cmd.exe by going to Start -> type cmd in the search box and hit enter.

– Step 6: Change the directory to Desktop by typing :

chdir Desktop

– Step 7: Then, type EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys. 
Or,
expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys

– Step 8: When the expansion is complete, copy the new atikmdag.sys from your Desktop to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

– Step 9: Restart your computer and check.

HP Recommended

Hello, I've had this problem off and on for a year with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I believe it has now been fixed.

You can read my post about it here: http://allaboutboats.blogspot.com/2015/05/toshiba-satellite-and-bsod-error-system.html

To make a long story short, I had the BSOD while using Firefox. I unchecked the "use hardware acceleration when available" in the Advanced Options and the things that crashed 4 times that night worked OK afterwards.

I thought it was just a Toshiba problem 🙂

Hope this helps...

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for this suggestion, I have implimented it and although it seems to have solved the bluescreen problem I am having difficulty with freezing. I appreciate your help, I would have responded sooner but I really wanted to be able to give honest feed back on this ....thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for this suggestion, I went with the other because it was simpler but I do experience freezing. I may try what you have posted here just to see if it will make a difference with the freezing however, I'm in no hurry to try it....

Thanks again

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.