Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I just got a telephone call from someone claiming to be with HP support. The caller ID on my telephone showed the caller as unknown. The man claimed that HP has determined that I have gotten a virus in my laptop via social media.

Has anybody gotten such calls? I am fairly sure it's a scam but do want to double-check. I asked the man on the phone to give me a call back number in case we got cut off. The number he gave me was 888 - 883 - 6944.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello there @paularose

It has come to our attention that the person that has contacted you is not with a valid HP company that we know of, nor is the 888 number affiliated with anything HP. Please do not try to contact the number nor give the caller any information in regards to your personal or products. Hp is aware of these fake numbers and we recommend not to to give them any information. 

We do apologize that you are getting these calls. 

Thank you,

HP Moderator

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

@paularose wrote:
I just got a telephone call from someone claiming to be with HP support. The caller ID on my telephone showed the caller as unknown. The man claimed that HP has determined that I have gotten a virus in my laptop via social media.

Has anybody gotten such calls? I am fairly sure it's a scam but do want to double-check. I asked the man on the phone to give me a call back number in case we got cut off. The number he gave me was 888 - 883 - 6944.

Thanks

Hi,

HP is aware of fake scam calls. If you scroll up youll see the notification in blue "Beware of fake HP Support"

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended

Hello there @paularose

It has come to our attention that the person that has contacted you is not with a valid HP company that we know of, nor is the 888 number affiliated with anything HP. Please do not try to contact the number nor give the caller any information in regards to your personal or products. Hp is aware of these fake numbers and we recommend not to to give them any information. 

We do apologize that you are getting these calls. 

Thank you,

HP Moderator

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended
After I posted my message I looked at various other messages in the HP forum and came to the conclusion that my phone call was in fact from a scammer.

Believe me I would never give anybody personal information over the phone! 🙂 Not in this day and age! But thank you for the response.
HP Recommended

I got a call like that but they wanted me to download supremcontrol or something like that.   I hung up after telling them I would contact HP for help.

HP Recommended
I get several calls per day from a blocked # claiming to be with HP support. This all started after I was having an issue with my laptop and contacted HP support via chat. After sorting out the language barrier, (several contacts) and ultimately making my laptop operate worse. I starting getting the phone calls (same Indian accent)saying they were getting error messages about my laptop. They have my model #, Serial # email address and cell phone #. This was the info that the authorized tech support prompts you to enter via chat. I contacted HP about this issue. They said not to respond to these calls. It all leads back to the total HP experience. Nothing but trouble. Federal Trades Commission states that these chats and our information are public info. My experiences purchasing Lenovo, Dell & Apple products has never led to any grief. Just saying beware before contacting HP support. It all started there.
HP Recommended
I'm currently having this exact same thing. The Indian guy says I have a malicious virus. He calls me almost every hour for the past week from the number 866-756-0309. It's freaking me out! All HP told me was that they would only call me if I asked them to, but I still don't know.. my computer hasn't alerted me of anything and I haven't gotten any emails from HP
HP Recommended

@Cwomack

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I have been getting these calls nonstop. This problem needs to be resolved immediately. Thanks
HP Recommended

I received a call today from the 866-756-0309 that has been posted here as a scam call.  I am retired from HP and know that HP does not make this type of call so I immediately recognized it as a scam and terminated the call.  The caller does indeed sound as if he is from India and has pretty specific general information about my computer but no serial number.  It is a fairly convincing call and my concern is that when you call this number back it answers as HP technical support with support options and tells you to have your computer in front of you with your serial number handy.  People who might consider it a questionable call upfront might have second thoughts if they make a call back to verify this number as HP support.  I don't think it would be untoward for HP to send email to its customer mail list to warn them of this scam.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.