Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

> for strange reason even download of Windows 10 to USB media is seemingly unsuccessful so far - hope I am clear on that.

Your description is clear, but your assumption that the download also simultaneously writes to the USB memory-stick is incorrect.

By the way, how's that "measure, measure, measure" progressing?

I doubt that installing from a download onto your computer, versus an install from a set of DVD-recordable disks, versus installing from a USB memory-stick, will produce any different result.

The "other person" did make a good point -- since Windows 10 was, at some time, installed on your computer, Microsoft granted you a "digital entitlement" to do a "clean-install" of Windows 10 at any time, without purchasing a new product-key.

HP Recommended

I really dont understand him, You go to microsoft download windows 10 location , you choose to download windows 10 download tool . you run the toll it downloads windows 10 intallation files then it lets you choose what you want to do to make bootable usb or ISO file then you can create dvd mount , mount to vhd or watever.

HP Recommended

> I really don't understand him,

You've lost me -- to which "him" are you referring, and to which comment are you referring?

> You go to microsoft download windows 10 location , you choose to download windows 10 download tool .

> you run the toll it downloads windows 10 intallation files

> then it lets you choose what you want to do to make bootable usb or ISO file

> then you can create DVD

Correct.  Restart your computer, and boot from the DVD to start a "clean" install -- totally wiping all the current contents of the disk-drive.

> mount , mount to vhd or whatever.

I'm not sure how to "mount", unless you already have a working Operating System.

If starting with an "empty" disk-drive, booting from DVD is your only option.

HP Recommended

@mdklassen wrote:

> mount , mount to vhd or whatever.

I'm not sure how to "mount", unless you already have a working Operating System.

If starting with an "empty" disk-drive, booting from DVD is your only option.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ie/library/hh825691.aspx

https://www.neowin.net/news/guide-how-to-install-windows-10-using-vhds

HP Recommended

@mdklassen wrote:

> I really don't understand him,

I dont understand the original post owner

HP Recommended

andriuskarpas wrote:

> I don't understand the original post owner.

Then, it's time to wait for @ranbir -- as the originator of this question -- to give an update:

* did the download complete?

* was something written to the USB memory-stick?

* did he disconnect the "target" computer from the Internet?

* was the boot from the files on the memory-stick successful in installting Windows 10?

* before connecting the "target" computer to the Internet, how fast did it perform?

* after connecting to the Internet, and completing a Windows Update cycle, and rebooting, how fast did it perform?

* how much RAM in the "target" computer?  What CPU (dual-core? quad-core? 2.0 Ghz? 3.4 Ghz?) What disk-drive (SSD? 5400 RPM? 7200 RPM?)

Waiting for @ranbir ...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.