10-22-2012 11:07 PM
For some reason, my laptop graphics display shut down earlier today. So, I tried the shut down my laptop (thinking that it was just overheating from work) and let it cool down. I tried to start it up a bit later and it would not start up. It just stayed on the Starting Windows screen.
I have attempted to get in through safe mode. This works. To an extent. Safe Mode with networking does NOT work.
System Restore does NOT work
Check Disk does NOT work
System Repair does NOT work
bootsect does NOT work
I have resolved myself to the fact that I may need to do a full recovery on it. HOWEVER, I have important files for work and school that I MUST keep. Some of it is backed up, some of it is not. The more recent stuff is what is NOT backed up. That is what I need most.
I have a System Recovery DVD that I ordered from HP a few months back. Now, my question is... Will this allow me to do a NON-DESTRUCTIVE Recovery? I desperately need these files.
Safe mode will not allow me to do a backup to my External Harddrive. It won't even RECOGNIZE or ATTEMPT to recognize my external.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!
HP Pavilion g6-1a50us Notebook PC
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
10-23-2012 03:26 AM
There is no option for a non-destructive recovery using recovery discs, however you could try either of the options below to see if you can retrieve your data.
1. Mount the HDD in an external caddy, connect this to another PC and see if this will allow you to read the drive.
2. Another possible way to try and retrieve your files from a non-booting drive is to follow the process detailed in the link below. The Ubuntu operating system CD you create can run from the CD alone ( ie it doesn't have to install on the Hard Drive ) and I've often found it to be successful in retrieving data even from a failing Hard Drive. When you've created the CD, follow the instructions and see if you can back up your existing files.
****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****
Microsoft MVP - Windows Experience
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)