03-18-2012 11:46 AM
Product Name : HP G42-396TX Notebook PC
OS : Windows 7 64-bit
Error Message :
The system detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.
03-18-2012 02:31 PM
Either the CPU fan is clogged with dust or has failed, clean or replace the fan.
See this guide for cleaning instructions
03-19-2012 08:36 AM
You don't need to disassemble to clean the fan, the link I posted earlier showed how using canned air.
Your Service Manual can be found on this page
05-14-2012 04:24 PM
Is the notebook under warranty? If it is HP will repair it for free.
Contact HP directly, they will guide you on what to do next to get it repaired under warranty
If you have no warranty:
Best thing to do is call HP parts
call (800) 227-8164 between 5 AM and 5 PM Pacific Time, Monday thru Friday.
they will ask for serial numbers from the PC, this way they can get you the correct part number.
It requires some skill to replace the fan, its not for the inexperienced. I suggest taking it to a qualified reputable repair shop to install it.
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)