Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Stream 13
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Trying to create a system image on a usb stick.

Receiving "invalid backup location".

Trying to perform data back up of existing laptop with approx. 30GB worth of information to backup - am using HP Recovery Manager and it is very slow, any suggestions? 45 mins only 10% completed. Is this standard timing for data back up with HP laptops? 3GB per hour?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please check to ensure that the pen drive has enough space for both OS and your Backup content.

Suggest format the pen drive in fat32 format before making it a recovery drive.

This might help:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03481733

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Please check to ensure that the pen drive has enough space for both OS and your Backup content.

Suggest format the pen drive in fat32 format before making it a recovery drive.

This might help:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03481733

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for the help and advice. I needed to format to NTFS in order for the system image backup to save to the removable media (USB format to NTFS for system image).

If I understand your response to my question regarding 3GB's per hour for data to save on a NTFS data backup attempt, you are saying that FAT32 is more user friendly in terms of saving data to that file format - IE: it saves data faster?

In any event, I stopped trying to perform a data backup via the recovery environment where you manually select the individual files (system and or personal) to include with the data backup process. The reason I had been doing that step was because I thought you needed to perform a backup data successfully in order for the system image process to recognize that media as a valid backup location.

With a bit of research on the HP forums, I found that you can save a system image of this laptop Stream 13 to a USB removable drive provided the format is NTFS and you establish a "share" where the system image backup utilizy will recognize a "share" network location   \\laptop name\"share" name ... this failed on first attempt, and finally on my third attempt I got a window indicating that the system image completed successfully. Initially, I was told one of the drives failed to copy and that the system image backup failed - even though there were files copied to the USB removable media... second attempt - my laptop ran out of gas and it shutdown mid backup attempt...  apparently, this didn't corrupt the backup files because system image utilizy picked up right where it left off and finished what it had started I guess using the files it had already saved to the USB removable media.

A long process, but educational indeed I learned about diskpart, volumes, file formats, system image vs file backup, HP recovery environment, and more!

Thanks!

Matt

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.