Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dm1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been advised by Microsoft Tech Support that I need to do a "Reset my PC" to complete a clean install of Windows 10.  This is to solve an issue that has stopped me from upgrading from Win 10 Pro (1511) to Win 10 Pro (1607), aka the Anniversary Upgrade.  I have tried Many times over the past 6 months to accomplish tis upgrade.  It always fails at the same percentage of installation (40%) with the same error message.

I did some preliminary research on the reset, which included receiving a list of apps that will not survive the reset and will have to be re-installed.  This list includes  items that appparently came with the PC when I purchased it from HP.  These are:

AMD Install Manager

AMD Quick Stream

3D DriveGuard

Coolsense

Documentation

Launch Box

On Screen Display

Power Manager

Quick Launch

Setup

Software Framework

Support Assistant

Update.

Which of these do I NEED for the HP to run properly after the reset?  Where might I find the ones I need so that I might download and re-install them?  Are any on the System Image that I periodically create on an external USB drive?

Most of the other apps to be lost I have already uninstalled as unnecessary or know where to find the downloads to replace them.

Thanks in advance.

Don E.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended
Hi Don,

You should be able to locate a folder named "SWsetup" in the root of the C:\ drive.

The "SWsetup" folder should have the drivers that were factory installed on your computer.

The drivers in c:\swsetup are complete driver packages i.e., within the folder should be a setup.exe, and many other supporting files and folders.

System image would also contain all these drivers in it.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

My C:\ root does NOT have a folder by this name.  Are there any substitute names or other possible locations?

Thanks,

Don

HP Recommended

No, only that one.

HP Recommended

OK, so now what should I do, since the ability to recover these apps  (or at least those that I can't do without) after the System Reset seems to be gone?

HP Recommended

When did you do upgrade to Windows 10?

Were these apps or softwares working after upgrade?

Now you're trying to update to 1607 build?

You can try clean install of 1607 presently available through media creation tool. So why do you say you need to reset PC to do clean install?

In my opinion you don't need any of those HP apps to run Windows 10 1607 smoothly. If you need any missing drivers, you can ask for it later on. But I think since you've already ran Windows 10 successfully before, that would not be an issue.

HP Recommended

The last upgrade was from 10 Home to 10 Pro in October.

I do not know if any of the listed apps were working or not, since I have NO idea what any of them are for.

Yes, trying to go from 1511 to 1607.

Already tried the media creation tool without success.  Worked with Microsoft Tech Support (at least 3 levels) who could not fix the issue and recommended the System Reset.

Does any of this info change your opinion that I can just do without all the AMD/HP apps that Windows tells me will not survive the reset?  If not, I guess I'm good to go to try the reset and see if that will allow the Anniversary Upgrade to install.

HP Recommended

What is the model name, product number of your laptop?

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00033108

What do you mean by Reset?

How are you going to do reset - step by step please?

HP factory reset using HP recovery media doesn't need you to save or back up any apps/softwares. All the factory apps will come back to original settings.

HP Recommended

Pavilion dm1, B1A79AV, .

I plan to use the Windows 10 Refresh Tool or the Windows 10 Reset this PC  feature.  Most likely will use the former, since the latter uses installation media provided by device manufacturer.  That doesn't seem to apply in my case, since the OS originally installed OEM was Win 7 Home.  The refresh tool is downloaded and run from Microsoft at https://www.microsoft.co/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh.

I haven't reviewed in detail the steps in the overall process.    It is supposed to install a "clean" version of Win 10, but removes all apps that were NOT obtained from the Windows Store.  Settings are destroyed, but personal files can be retained, if desired.  I don't have many of these on this PC.  They need to be backed up before starting this process, of course.  All software/apps installed by HP (including drivers, support apps, and utilities) will be removed.

I am unfamiliar with the HP factory reset and don't know if I have any recovery media.  Don't see how this would work since original installed OS was Win 7 Home.

HP Recommended
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.