Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy m6
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Several months ago, my laptop started the windows 10 update and crashed during the middle of it. Not having a way to back up my data at the time I could not do a recovery. Fast forward until a few days ago, during the recovery process I was able to back up all my information and restore Windows 8. With doing that, nothing was showing on my computer that I originally had. I then went and restored all the information back onto my computer, such as all my music etc. Apparently now, there is two full operating systems within my laptop and the same data on both. I cannot access the original data, and now my memory is down to just a few MB. How do I fix that? Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@unediblekorn

Thank you for replying with the details,

The information that's inaccessible now, is it showing up under Drive C? or is it unavailable?

If it's unavailable, follow the below step:
Please Open disk management and you`ll see the rest of your hard drive, it`s unallocated space so it`s not showing up in Windows yet. 
right click on it to format it and give it a letter. Then you will see it in windows and you can start storing data on it.

If you are able to view them but unable to access them, could you share the error message or number that appears when you try?

Also, to provide an accurate solution, have you tried accessing them from safe mode or transfer the files to a flash drive using the command prompt?

Here's how you can do it via Command Prompt: 

X copy /S c:\folderpath\  E:\folderpath

Where C: is your windows directory and E: is your USB

The /S switch means subdirectories.

type 'Xcopy /?' at the cmd prompt for more info

Waiting to help,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@unediblekorn

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand you wanted to update the windows, however, it failed and now you aren't able to access your data,

the disk space is low and you need assistance with the same,

Don't worry as we should be able to work together and obtain more space on your drive, first:

• Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure.
  • Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following:
  • powercfg hibernate off
  • Enjoy your extra space!

Resolving Low Disk Space Errors: Click here 

Use the recovery manager to perform a data backup into an external source (Hard drive): Click here

Let me know how that pans out,

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for the response, but that is not quite what i need. After it crashed, I was able to reload windows, but in doing so, it was not the original things that I already had. it created a new partition and windows program. The previous data and all my files are still on the computer without me being able to access them due to the new partition. How can i go about getting that information back and/or deleting the new partition. Thanks for your time and help.

HP Recommended

@unediblekorn

Thank you for replying with the details,

The information that's inaccessible now, is it showing up under Drive C? or is it unavailable?

If it's unavailable, follow the below step:
Please Open disk management and you`ll see the rest of your hard drive, it`s unallocated space so it`s not showing up in Windows yet. 
right click on it to format it and give it a letter. Then you will see it in windows and you can start storing data on it.

If you are able to view them but unable to access them, could you share the error message or number that appears when you try?

Also, to provide an accurate solution, have you tried accessing them from safe mode or transfer the files to a flash drive using the command prompt?

Here's how you can do it via Command Prompt: 

X copy /S c:\folderpath\  E:\folderpath

Where C: is your windows directory and E: is your USB

The /S switch means subdirectories.

type 'Xcopy /?' at the cmd prompt for more info

Waiting to help,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. that seemed to work to open it up.

HP Recommended

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to the issue. I still have issues with having my laptop having issues. I think i overcomplicated what the issue is. Basically i have Windows installed twice on my computer. When my computer dumped on me, I was able to get windows to reinstall, but the base windows program is still on the memory of the computer, so now i do not have any memory for installing programs. I need to find a way to delete the original version of windows that is hiding somewhere within the memory.  Thanks again for all your work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.