Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15 x360 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

A few months ago my task bar suddenly stopped working. Every time I clicked the windows button, a blue error window popped up, with only the option to restart the PC. I searched the web for answers and I tried some of those methods (they involved running a  piece of code in the windows powershell). That hasn't really solved a thing. Now the error message doesn't pop up. But when I click the windows icon now, nothing happens. I also noticed that every other thing on the task bar (like the battery, networks, search bar, notification board etc.) show the same respons. Even some windows apps like the Onenote (Tablet version) and the reader stopped working.

Is there any way you know how to solve this problem?

I considered putting the PC back to its factory settings, but only when there is no other solution.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Arkyparky,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are having an issue with the Task Bar, and wanted to assist you!

Have you tried checking the system for Malicious Software?  You can use the following tool to help you, if needed: Malicious Software Removal Tool

If you are still having trouble, then you can try using the Microsoft Push-Button Reset.  That way, you can try to repair the notebook by reinstalling the Operating System, instead restoring to factory settings.  Please post back with the results.  

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi again,

Thanks for your answer. Sadly the first method didn't work; the scan told that there were no problems so it didn't fix the task bar. I want to try the second method but I just have one more question: If I choose the option "Keep my files", does that include any installed programs?

HP Recommended

Hello @Arkyparky,

Thank you for the quick reply!

If you choose to keep you files, it should keep your personal files, apps, and customizations.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks so much  Worked great  

I had called Direct TV to drop the movie channels and they cut off my phone and internet.  Nice.  ATT got phone and internet back but could not restore my start button or menu.  You are a hero!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.