Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Same problem with HP Envy 15 (M9U50AV). Disappointed and concerned that this question is still unanswered after 6 months.

Cannot update BIOS from F.25 to F.35 rev A. And, yes, under warranty for another 8 months as of this writing.

HP Support "Assistant" hangs forever, until stopped, when attempting update.

Downloaded update file - sp75152.exe - from the website, ran as Administrator.
Update button is greyed out, with "The BIOS update is blocked on this device", as shown by all other unfortunate HP customers in this thread.

Is this because I disabled Secure Boot? That's necessary to boot standalone disk image backup/restore software that actually works, unlike the skeevy, dysfunctional, HP-supplied "recovery" software (based on my experience).

That was a bit harsh, sorry. This has been a frustrating waste of a couple of hours.

HP Recommended

I managed to update the bios by downloading it on an USB stick and then updating via the recovery thingamagic that is available before boot.

HP Recommended

@David-P - Thanks.

This Envy 15t is has a Skylake (6th gen) iCore. I've noticed that it doesn't seem to be, ahem, the best-supported platform in HP's stable...

I tried having the BIOS update package write to two different USB flash drives (16G USB 2.0, 64G USB 3.0). Can't boot those USB drives (no bootable image found). I allowed (well, forced, by formatting them as NTFS) the BIOS updater to format both sticks (it formats the 16G as FAT32, the 64G as xFAT).

The recovery boot time option says it can't update the BIOS on this computer, and it doesn't, even though the "Update BIOS" button is lit and I pressed it.

Can't boot from the F9 boot menu using any of the 6 (!?!) different .efi files on either USB stick.

Tried the Windows-B and power-on thing with the USB drive inserted, all it did was recover the current version of the BIOS.

Grrrr...

HP Recommended

Should have it plugged into power when you do the update, if you cannnot.

-Shut down your computer

-Turn on Computer and Press "Esc+F2" at the same time

-Update Bios from the system diagnostic screen

***make sure you are plugged into power***

HP Recommended

My new Envy M6-W103DX X360 would not allow me to update the BIOS (the update was "blocked").  My machine came with Win 10 and McAfee anti-virus installed.  First, I downloaded the BIOS .exe update file from the HP support website (in my case it was SP75141.exe).  I then in Control Panel disabled my WiFi device to take the laptop offline, and I also uninstalled McAfee thinking it might have blocked the update.  The BIOS updated just fine.  I am now using Windows Defender.  I hope this helps -- this is my first ever post on any forum so please excuse any omissions.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem with HP OMEN 15, but solved it easy:

1. Turn on computer

2. Boot to windows and run HP Notebook System BIOS Update, like in Your picture

3. Select "copy BIOS image to any file location" and extract/copy these files to usb flash.

4. When reboot Your PC and press F2.

5. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI will be launched.

6. Select Firmware Management when BIOS Update

7. Select BIOS Image To Apply and using file navigator apply bios file from usb flash.

8. BIOS update proccess started and finish

Good luck 😉

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.