Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 15t-j100 Select Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

So i'm working on a Envy LT that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 recently and there is this message on the log in screen "The device is not connected to the computer. Please insert the authentication device." We can't seem to identify what this means or what needs to be done to clear this screen. The users states that the BIO finger print sensor doesn't seem to work either. I looked in the Device Manger and I see a Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) listed here and is installed correctly. I even updated the FP sensor driver from the Envy's support site and we still see this on the log in screen. 

Is there any information or help to clear this message? 

Also we notice that the number lock on the key board seems to be disabled during windows 10 boot up. Before on windows 8.1 it was enabled. Is there any setting in 10 to keep the number lock enabled. 

The user states if 10 can't be made to work well, then we may revert back to 7 or 8. 

Please advise. 

Thank you for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Seem to have been resolved by re-installing the HP Simple Pass software then going in and reconfiguring the settings. Message doesn't appear any more on 10. User want LT installed with 7 though. Better decision. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @djzoey.

Thank you for posting. I have read your post, and I understand that you got the message of "The device is not connected to the computer. Please insert the authentication device." at the beginning of the login screen. It is related to the fingerprint reader. I wanted to help.

You may try to uninstall and reinstall the driver of the fingerprint reader, and the software SimplePass. Here is a document for troubleshooting the fingerprint reader in Windows 8, which also could be used for Windows 10.

HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 😎

It is always better to update all the drivers, software and BIOS before upgrading to Windows 10. If updating the driver of the fingerprint reader did not help, I will suggest going back to the previous Windows.

HP Notebook PCs - Upgrading to Windows 10

Here is a link, some people find useful for the Num Lock issue: http://winaero.com/blog/enable-numlock-logon-screen-windows-10/

Let me know how it goes.

To say thank you, click on the "thumb up". Accept the post as solution, if your problem solved, so other people have the same issue can see it.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Seem to have been resolved by re-installing the HP Simple Pass software then going in and reconfiguring the settings. Message doesn't appear any more on 10. User want LT installed with 7 though. Better decision. 

HP Recommended

SOLVED FOR REAL!
That’s a ok  answer from djzoey….. HOWEVER, anyone who has installed Windows 10 from any machine that originally shipped with Windows 8, will visit HP Support for drivers only to (sadly) discover that HP no longer lists the original drivers!
Luckily, I downloaded ALL the drivers and “support page” before that happened.
NOTE: Although these drivers were originally for the HP Envy dv7 they are the same drivers used for almost all the HP notebooks.
For the fingerprint driver, please go here:  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6OFUugVH6DuZ2hTSjF5eDNjRms/view?usp=sharing

and look under the “Release Details” and click the link

OR here is the direct link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6OFUugVH6DubXlUaUhLTjlwLUk/view?usp=sharing

If neither or those are still valid get it directly from my Google drive here:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58900.exe

Please click the thumbs up if this helped you!

If this solution has worked mark Reply 'Accept as Solution'

Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right if you wish to say Thanks, Give KUDOS
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.