Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Beats SE 15-p099nd Energy
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

2 USB 3.0 ports have I/O errors. Who has the power to solve this puzzle??

1 port detects external HDD for 10 min in explorer and then gives  I/O error (mostly during file transfer which is then abruptly ended).

Other port does not show HDD in explorer and regularly gives immediate I/O error. After some 5 minutes this port does show HDD in disk management, but contents are displayed as RAW type which is extremely strange (however, on other laptops it shows as NTFS and in fine condition).

Note:

>Hardware of USB ports is checked and working properly in Bios (F2), note : Bios cannot be updated there due to missing signature file (?? related)

>I have reinstalled Win 8.1 which does not fix the problem.

>Universal USB Drivers have all been uninstalled and reinstalled through setup when restarting. Does not fix I/O problems

There are no exclamation warnings in device management (IN THE INSTANCE that the HDD IS DISPLAYED there).

>External HDD's are all USB 3.0 compatible and have been subjected to CHKDSK /R and /F.

Good luck. Hope to get any help on the matter.

Fire away!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @Igant1us, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you get USB 3.0 I/O error on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Kudos to you for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

I/O(Input/Output) error is related to a bad USB cable or a bad USB port of the computer or the drive. Because of that, I would suggest you to try to connect the drive with a different cable and to a different port. If possible, you could try it on another computer as well.

Try formatting the external hard with NTFS and check if it helps.

Also, Try updating the BIOS using this link.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.