Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
DV7 6100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just installed windows 10 on my laptop, upgrading from windows 7, and now the USB 3.0 ports on the computer dont work.  In device manager there is a yellow hazard sign next to "USB xhci compliant host controller".

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but nothing helps.  Any help is appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @shmendrik ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Pavilion dv7-6100 Notebook and issues with the Windows 10 3.0 USB USB xhci compliant host controller drivers. Here is a link to help. The Intel® Driver Update Utility is a tool that analyzes the system drivers on your computer and install the best one for your OS and Notebook.

Have you tried to rollback the driver in Device Manager?

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Get a fix?

I havn't yet.

GWR

GWR
HP Recommended

Hello,

I was able to fix this issue after some trial and error and a bunch of reading different threads.  Here's how I fixed it:

Step 1: Go to HP's website and select support and then software & drivers

Step 2: Enter your HP model number. i.e. my device was an HP laptop Pavilion dv7-6b32us.  I entered Pavilion dv7-6b32us.  Do the same for your device.

Step 3:   Click find my product

Step 4: Look for a bar with the statement: "Software available for your operating system: Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Windows 10.  Click the link "Change" on the far left of the bar.

Step 5:  Change the operating sytem to windows 8 or the last known working configuration.  In my case it was Windows 8.  

Step 6:  In the list below, find the selection for "Driver-Chipset" and click the + to expand.

Step 7:  Select and download "Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver". I choose "Download only"  I don't think it matters.

Step 8:  Once downloaded, run it.

Step 9:  It will install the drivers you need and require I reboot I believe.  

Step 10: That's it! you should have a working USB 3.0 ports!  Plug a printer or any device into the ports to confrim it is now working.

you can also confrim this in Device mananger by reviewing all the UBS items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" There no longer be any faults or flags next to any of the USB items.

I  hope this helps everyone with this issue.  After reading all the numerous post about this I felt I should share how I fixed it for me.  Good Luck!

HP Recommended

Fixed with a BIOS update

HP Recommended

pls i couldnt find the driver chipset selection you mentioned earlier

HP Recommended

Hi @shmendrik,

I Would suggest you to run the Windows Update on the unit, as this issue has occurred only after Upgrade.

And for DV7 6100 unit, Windows 10 drivers are not available on hp website.

Hence, you may refer to below link for Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 😎

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-dv7-6100-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5082216/mo...

I hope that answers your question. 🙂

I am an HP employee, the opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to acknowledge the post ***

HP Recommended

Hi, 

If none of these seem to help. I was able to fix this exact issue just yesterday. Granted, it was on a dell computer, but it was caused by the forced update to 10.

Re-post from the  solution I posted on Microsofts Forum:

When Win10 forced updated on a computer I couldn't connect any USB devices to my machine at all. Same error; Corrupted USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller. Reinstalling via Windows, checking for updated drivers, installing possible subsitutes, nothing worked. 

I was just able to fix it and it turned out to be pretty easy. 

First BACK THAT DATA UP because you need to reinstall the OS as something most likely went wrong there. BUT Win 10 has an option to restore your system to factory settings, with or w/o saving any data essentially doing a sort of virtual clean install of the OS. Choose to wipe everything. This process takes less than an hour, you don't need any recovery disks or iso's, literally just find the option, click 2 or 3 icons and it starts. This worked even though microsoft wouldn't provide me an iso to reinstall since it was a custom image from dell, and dell wouldn't do anything because an expired warranty. 

Copypasta from -> http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/SLN297920/EN :

-------------------------------

1. At the desktop, click the Search the web and Windows box and type "reset".
  2. Select Reset this PC (System Setting).
  3. Under Reset this PC, select Get Started.
  4. Select the option to Remove everything.
  5. If you are keeping this computer, select Just remove my files. If you are recycling the computer, select Remove files and clean the drive.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process. This will take some time and your computer will restart.

Hope this fixes it for you. It saved me from having to buy another OS out of pocket for the mistake this (at first) unwanted 'update' caused my laptop. 

Quick edit: if older OS's had this feature i'm just unaware of it since I never had to use it. But thank god it was there on 10. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.