Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion 15-n200nr Notebook (Product number: F5Y74UAR#ABA,  (Windows 8.1 64-bit) After upgrading  from Windows 8.0 to 8.1. all 3 USB  ports stopped working. When I insert any USB device I get the following message  “The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it.”  The device manager has Universal Serial Bus Controllers Flag “Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).  I have tried uninstalling all the USB drivers and reinstalling via the device manager, windows update etc. and nothing works,  I cannot locate a chip set or bus drivers as well

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

Driver Version: 6.3.9600.16442
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: BADDEVICE.Dev.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE
Outranked Drivers: usb.inf:USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE:00FF2000
Device Updated: false

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @signof12 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome and thanks for all the information that I needed very helpful.

I have looked into your issue about your HP Pavilion 15-n200nr Notebook and getting the error message -Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). Here is a document from Microsoft on resolving the USB issue.  Just download and run the tool.  You might need to download some drivers for the device from the manufacturer for Windows 8.1.   Some USB devices are not Windows 8.1 compatible.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the advise, but the microsoft link leads me to a broken page and does not work... However, thanks to your insight I am going to the AMD website to see if they have any drivers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.