Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently purchased an HP Envy X360 laptop for Work. The laptop came with Windows 10 Preinstalled.

I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 and during the install I get a error saying that "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a drive floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

Note. If the Windows installation media is inthe Cd/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step"

I am trying to do the install via a USB drive. The laptop has 3 USB ports and i believe all of them are 3.0

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bryanhe wrote:

Download the Intel Chipset software from Intel from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/25731/Intel-Server-Chipset-Driver-for-Windows-?httpD...

Download the USB3 drivers from Intel - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/22824/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-C...

Extract the drivers from the packages

create directories

c:\drivers

c:\drivers\glb

c:\drivers\x86

c:\drivers\x64

c:\temp\mount

c:\temp\DVD_Files

- the first one is for both x86 and x64 so I put them into a directory c:\drivers\glb

- the second one has seperate directories from x86 vs x64 - put them in seperate directories.  

c:\drivers\x86

c:\drivers\x64

1) copy the ISO files from the Windows 7 install DVD into a directory - c:\temp\dvd_files

2) mount the boot.wim file

- dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\temp\dvd_files\sources\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:C:\temp\mount

dism /image:C:\temp\mount /add-driver /driver:c:\drivers\glb

dism /image:C:\temp\mount /add-driver /driver:c:\drivers\x64 (or x86 if the image is for a 32 bit install

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\temp\mount /commit

3) Mount the install.wim file

- you need to know which image to update as the install.wim file contains all the images (except Enterprise).  So assume you are installing 64bit Home Premium - that would be index 2

- dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\temp\dvd_files\sources\install.wim /index:2 /mountdir:C:\temp\mount

dism /image:C:\temp\mount /add-driver /driver:c:\drivers\x64 (or x86 if the image is for a 32 bit install

copy your files to USB and all should be good.

Bryan

forgot something.  The boot.wim has two images.  So after step 2 you need to do the exact same thing again but on index 2 like this:

mount the boot.wim file

- dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\temp\dvd_files\sources\boot.wim /index:2 /mountdir:C:\temp\mount

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Sadly, you CANNOT install Windows 7 via USB if all you have is USB 3 ports.  Windows 7 does not support USB 3 out of the box. 

The way around this is to use DISM to add the USB 3 drivers (most of the time it's Intels drivers).  I actually just did this to downgrade my 15t-ae000 from Windows 10 to Windows 7.  I will be posting a new thread about the couple of driver issues left for that machine next.

If you want the steps to make an install that will work with USB3 let me know and I will post the steps (it requires you to make a Windows 7 install image - not too hard).

Bryan

HP Recommended

Hi bryanhe, I did use dism to add the USB 3 drivers, but still seeing the same message. Maybe I missed something when I did that. Please let me know the steps you did and I will see if that will work for me as well.

HP Recommended

you need to add the drivers to both the boot.wim and the install.wim.  Did you do both?

Bryan

HP Recommended

yep. Added them to both.

HP Recommended

ok - well I added the Intel Chipset drivers as well as the Intel USB3 drivers to all my images (as well as some common network (LAN) drivers) and that solved all my problems.

HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has a 6th gen Intel core processor, see if using this utility allows you to install W7.

See the readme for instructions for use.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

HP Recommended

In that case, let me know the steps you followed and I will do the same.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion Paul_Tikkanen. The laptop has a 6th gen processor. Will try the utility you suggested and will update here as to how it goes.

HP Recommended

Paul_Tikkanen, I tried the Win 7 USB 3.0 Image creator utility. It adds the drivers to all the editons in the ISO, but before the whole process is done, it gives the following error - "Flash Utility has stopped working.", after which the program exits.  I still tried the USB since I wanted to install Win 7 Professional and that stage completed without any issues. On both attempts with the utility tool it failed at the end of the Ulitmate edition.

However I still see the same issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.