Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello..........:smileyhappy:

Have a HP Compaq NC6120 laptop.

1.6MHz 2 gigs of ram. 60GB HD.

Was running XP-PRO. Have done a clean install of Win-7-PRO-32 Bit.

Thanks to this forum,  I have all but one problem solved.

In Device Manager I have in Other devices (1) Unknown device.

I ran the program UKD Unknown Devices & it brought up this info...........

Hardware ID- SMCF010

Device catagory (class) - Other Devices.

Enumerator-  ACPI

Device Status Flags- Unknown, Present, Not detected, Not phantom, Catagory visible.

Have googled it without much luck.

Any ideas, help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.......:smileywink:........Chuck

Hopefully this is on the right board............

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Chuck:

Be connected to the internet.

Go to the device manager and right click on the SMCF010 device needing drivers.

Click on the driver tab. Click on update driver.

Select the automatic update method and Windows Update should find the infrared driver, download, and install it.

You also have a graphics driver issue...

Do this to install the graphics...

Download and run the following driver.  You will most likely get an unsupported operating system error.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=447347&spf...

Close out of any error windows.

Go to the device manager. Click to expand the Display Adapters category. Click on the Standard VGA Adapter.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.  Select the Browse my computer for driver software, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That file will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp34749.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install that way.

After you reboot, you should have decent graphics but no Aero as the Intel graphics adapter in that model is not fully windows 7 capable.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, Chuck:

Be connected to the internet.

Go to the device manager and right click on the SMCF010 device needing drivers.

Click on the driver tab. Click on update driver.

Select the automatic update method and Windows Update should find the infrared driver, download, and install it.

You also have a graphics driver issue...

Do this to install the graphics...

Download and run the following driver.  You will most likely get an unsupported operating system error.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=447347&spf...

Close out of any error windows.

Go to the device manager. Click to expand the Display Adapters category. Click on the Standard VGA Adapter.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.  Select the Browse my computer for driver software, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That file will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp34749.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install that way.

After you reboot, you should have decent graphics but no Aero as the Intel graphics adapter in that model is not fully windows 7 capable.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul.............

I did have the Video issue taken care of.

I had found a post where you had mentioned the Vista driver & it worked for me.

I was able to find the update for the Infrared device this evening when I was updating my security.

I had previuosly tried the auto-update & that did not work.

So far, all seems good.

Few more updates to do.

THANKS for all your help! :generic:

Regards..............Chuck

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Chuck.

Glad to  have been of assistance.

Best Regards,

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.