Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8440p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, Please help!

I updated to window 10 this evening and things seemed fine. I dowloaded a few apps and restarted the system.

Whe the system came back - the cursor wouldn't leave the top of the screen - just flickering aroung the top edge. The keypad works, as do the left and right clicks and the pointing device, but I fing he pointing device imposible to use and as soon as either the touchpad is toched, or the pointing device is touched at the same time as the left and right clicks - the cursor goes straight back to the top of the screen (where the close button is) As I am sure you can understand - this is all but unworkable.

I have looked to se if the driver needs updating - it doesn't.

Can you help?

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I manually reinstalled a windows 7 software for synaptics (none later available) and is currently working. Will keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Do you still have the original Synaptics software installed? If so you might try uninstalling it, reboot and see what Windows 10 installs.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
Hi, thanks for replying,

I did have the synaptics software installed and removed it. When I re booted, nothing had changed. The pointing device is still working but the track pad, not.
HP Recommended

Check if your touchpad's turned on or off!

And let windows update all of your drivers.

HP Recommended
I manually reinstalled a windows 7 software for synaptics (none later available) and is currently working. Will keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks for your help
HP Recommended

Windows 10 loads the Synaptics driver version 19 automatically. The version 19 seems to be having few issues such as the touchpad settings getting reset to default on each reboot and for very few people like you, the touchpad is not at all working.

One solution would be to uninstall the Synaptics driver version 19.xx and install the version 18.xx drivers and disable the automatic driver update for this driver so as to prevent Windows from updating it again. But this might not be the good idea to prevent Windows from updating the driver as in future there might be useful updates to it.

--------------------------

Update [Issue Resolved]

On Microsoft Forums, someone has posted a simple registry tweak that makes Synaptics drivers remembers the settings after the reboot. I have tested it myself. So, here it is:-

Open regedit.exe and go to:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install

find the key "DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade

and change its value to 0.

That is it! Now you set your preferences for the Synaptics touchpad and check after rebooting. The preferences will be remembered this time!

View the thread on Microsoft Forum

Complexity is not a sign of intelligence! "Simplify"
HP Recommended

@richor999 wrote:
Thanks for your help

Using the old drivers is not recommended. You may just solve this issue with the new driver with just one registry key change mentioned in my answer.

Change this key value to 0 (Zero)

and key: DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade

change it to zero .

That should do it!

HP Recommended

@iamharish15 wrote:

Windows 10 loads the Synaptics driver version 19 automatically. The version 19 seems to be having few issues such as the touchpad settings getting reset to default on each reboot and for very few people like you, the touchpad is not at all working.

One solution would be to uninstall the Synaptics driver version 19.xx and install the version 18.xx drivers and disable the automatic driver update for this driver so as to prevent Windows from updating it again. But this might not be the good idea to prevent Windows from updating the driver as in future there might be useful updates to it.

Update [Issue Resolved]

On Microsoft Forums, someone has posted a simple registry tweak that makes Synaptics drivers remembers the settings after the reboot. I have tested it myself. So, here it is:-

That is it! Now you set your preferences for the Synaptics touchpad and check after rebooting. The preferences will be remembered this time!

The link at the end of the thread is not working. I have been following the trending topic of Synaptics touchpad issues closeley on a number of forums.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Sorry erico for the incorrect hyperlink. I have updated it now.

@erico wrote:

@iamharish15 wrote:

Update [Issue Resolved]

The link at the end of the thread is not working. I have been following the trending topic of Synaptics touchpad issues closeley on a number of forums.

HP Recommended

Hi, Firstly - thank you for you reply - this problem still comes back...

Re: Open regedit.exe and go to:-

Which line should I cange to 0? I changed the first line to 0 value (Default), but there is also:

Driver Version                                       14.0.19.1

HP                                                              14.0.19.1

Insall Dir                                                  C.:\Windows\32 etc...

and ProgDir.                                           %ProgrammeFiles etc...

Many thanks again,

Richard

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.