Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv-7-4180us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello. I have an HP pavilion dv-7-4180us notebook. I'm thinking of upgrading it to Win 10 when it comes out. The Best Buy Geek Squad says that they can do it and that my notebook is upgradeable. However, I need more details and assurances. Where would I go to find out exactly how my notebook would be affected if I upgrade if from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Will anything stop working, like my CD rom drive, for example? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Syn83,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

I understand that the Best Buy Geek squad advised you that your would be able to upgrade to Windows 10.  You would like to know what other effects it may have.

As Windows 10 is still in the beta stages and not the final release there is no way to know the exact outcome.

Here are links from Microsoft that I hope answers your concerns.

Winodws 10

Windows 10 Q & A

Upgrade to Windows 10 for free

To say thanks for responding please click the thumbs up icon below.

If this addressed your concerns please inform people by choosing solution provided.

Hope this helps!

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Syn83,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

I understand that the Best Buy Geek squad advised you that your would be able to upgrade to Windows 10.  You would like to know what other effects it may have.

As Windows 10 is still in the beta stages and not the final release there is no way to know the exact outcome.

Here are links from Microsoft that I hope answers your concerns.

Winodws 10

Windows 10 Q & A

Upgrade to Windows 10 for free

To say thanks for responding please click the thumbs up icon below.

If this addressed your concerns please inform people by choosing solution provided.

Hope this helps!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Heah their fellow DV7 owner, good questions I wish I had asked a few questions & did research  before I  upgraded from win 7 to win 10!  It,s been 3 months since the up grade. The first thing I would ask (my self) is what I need this dv7 for: if its for school ,work or part of your business I would not upgrade however if its video ,music ,games  & social media & you have the memory 6gigs min to keep it from running hot " go for it" ! If you upgradehere are a few things to keep in mind make sure you can get all the drivers for your Hardware ,update your software & bios & install a good system maintenance program "Advanced System Care" etc  Advanced is a free download with some good tools including a few for the registry that actually work fairly well for a few dollars you can get the fuller version.  Week 1 wow look at all this cool stuff finally read win10 manual , week two some things are not working right computer running warm a little slow where the hell did my files go hey where are those programs I had & like using and downloaded and installed " some get cloned and replaced by micro's version & some get buried in the system , at the end of week two i was upgrading

all the drivers needed ,hardware & software. Run system maintenece optimization  program to repair & defrag registry, clean out all the junkjunk and turn off a few programs and windows 10 works well. As for your DVD player if it is the same type I have ( HP dvdwbd tsl sata cd rom)I have not been able to find the drivers to make it work,will not recognize a dyou. So yes that could be a problem for you along with display drivers for HD graphics and HDMI port .  Final note brother my computer has been running better except for the DVD player which Microsoft should eventually find a fix for until then I'll have to use my $25 portable player. The last thing I can share would be to be aware that win 10 updates automatically & shares way to much system info with Microsoft unless you install a program to fine tune what you want your system to share.

Good luck and I hope this helps a little bit, take care!

FJG1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.