Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion dv6700
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This laptop originally came with Windows Vista. I upgraded it years ago to Windows 7. Last night, I tried to upgrade it to Windows 10. The upgrade hung up at 32 percent install for hours. I rebooted and got the following error code:

0xC1900101-0x30018 Failed FIRST_BOOT phase with error during SYSPREP operation

I'm beginning to think the laptop will not be able to be upgraded. It was installing the drivers at the time. Microsoft said the PC was Windows 10 compatible. It appears not to be at this time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem solved. Reinstalled all the drivers from the HP support website. Some worked and others did not. I recall 2 drivers that updated. The HOTKEY and chipset drivers updated. I also removed the Windows 7 desktop gadgets and sticky notes. The install of Windows 10 then completed successfully.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Someone posted to update all the drivers and try the upgrade again. Will do that and report back.

HP Recommended

Updated BIOS and all the drivers were already current. Retried and Windows 10 install hung up at 32 percent. It shows 6 percent next to the install features and drivers. I know the laptop is about 8 years old. But, Microsoft says the computer is compatible with Windows 10 prior to the install. I guess I'll have to open an issue with Microsoft. 

HP Recommended

Problem solved. Reinstalled all the drivers from the HP support website. Some worked and others did not. I recall 2 drivers that updated. The HOTKEY and chipset drivers updated. I also removed the Windows 7 desktop gadgets and sticky notes. The install of Windows 10 then completed successfully.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.