Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15-ab032tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last year I bought a hp ab032tx laptop, back then it came with windows 8.1 out of the box. Following the instructions I made the recovery disc. This was before windows 10 launched. Once windows 10 was out, I immediately upgraded to windows 10. Everything is running fine so far, but recently I've noticed the boot times are long, and things take a long time to load. Which is why I wish to change the 1tb hard drive to a ssd (a samsung 850 pro, to be exact). But thing is I want to keep windows 10.  But the installation disc has windows 8.1.  And since I already upgraded I am not sure if my current product key is going to work with windows 8.1. If I download windows 10 from microsoft's website and put it in a pendrive, will it work? Do I have to deactivate my current product key first (if it is even possible that is)? Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You should be fine and there's no need to deactivate the current installation.

When you upgrade from a previous OS to Windows 10, the activation server registers a hardware profile of your machine - small changes ( such as changing to a ssd ) are almost always fine, whereas more significant changes ( ie swapping the system board ) usually are not. 

I've personally swapped drives several times, then clean installed Windows 10 and there has never been any issue with activation.

As long as your current installation of Windows 10 has activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

You should be fine and there's no need to deactivate the current installation.

When you upgrade from a previous OS to Windows 10, the activation server registers a hardware profile of your machine - small changes ( such as changing to a ssd ) are almost always fine, whereas more significant changes ( ie swapping the system board ) usually are not. 

I've personally swapped drives several times, then clean installed Windows 10 and there has never been any issue with activation.

As long as your current installation of Windows 10 has activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.