Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G5
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I purchased the following laptop on Friday (19/08):
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=ECC_BUNDLE_6082661&opt=&sel=NTB

I note from the description it says:
"Windows 7 Professional 64 (license and media for Windows 10 Pro 64 included)"

And further explained:

"This system is preinstalled with Windows 7 Professional software and also comes with a license and media for Windows 10 Pro software. You may only use one version of the Windows software at a time. Switching between versions will require you to uninstall one version and install the other version. You must back up all data (files, photos, etc.) before uninstalling and installing operating systems to avoid loss of your data."

However, I didn't receive any media with the laptop. I know there's a guide about creating your own Windows 10 installation media over at http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04876361 but as this is an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, and we are now outside the free upgrade window, I want to check whether those are indeed the right steps to follow.

Thanks for your help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You should have received the Windows 10 Pro media as described on the sales site. This media may be in a plastic bag that was included with the computer. Please go through all materials that came with the computer. If you are unable to find the Windows 10 media, please contact HP Customer Support in your region for assistance.

Before installing Windows 10, please make your Windows 7 Pro Restore/Recovery Media.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

You should have received the Windows 10 Pro media as described on the sales site. This media may be in a plastic bag that was included with the computer. Please go through all materials that came with the computer. If you are unable to find the Windows 10 media, please contact HP Customer Support in your region for assistance.

Before installing Windows 10, please make your Windows 7 Pro Restore/Recovery Media.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Thanks lasvegaswireman, 

From the description it definitely sounded that way, so I'm glad to have confirmed here. I had a really good look through the materials received and there was only a quick start guide and a plastic slip containing warranty information inside, but unfortunately no physical disc/media. I will contact HP Customer Support tomorrow to ask them about it 🙂 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would be really interested in how you get on with this, as I have just purchased the same HP 250 G5 laptop this month and like you I am wondering how I upgrade (as advertised) to Windows 10. 

I also received no Windows 10 media in the packaging.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I called HP Support today and they are meant to be sending out the relevant media. I think it might be possible to create the relevant media using the tools on Microsoft's website sans any HP preinstalled software, as they informed me the laptop is licensed for both operating systems, but I will let you what I receive in the post.

HP Recommended

Hi mike170177,

As noted above, I called HP to query this and they sent out recovery media which I received media ia few days later. There were three discs in total, two discs are the recovery media and one disc contains drivers and other content. I haven't yet taken the opportunity to try installing Windows 10 with it but plan to do so soon and it looks promising.

HP Recommended

Great thank you for the feedback, really useful, I will also contact HP support.

Do you have the phone number you used please?

Thnaks

Mike

HP Recommended

I called them on 0207 949 0416 and mentioned that the product description states it will come with installation media but none was received with the laptop.

HP Recommended

Perfect thanks, I will call them now.

Cheers

HP Recommended

I am trying to do this upgrade on another HP laptop that came withe the Win 10 pro disc. I am looking fro the procedure to follow step by step to get Win 10 pro installed without leaving the system dead.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.