Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Presario CQ61
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hi my dad has fallen foul to telephone scammers and his laptop has been locked out at boot up.

After pressing the power on he gets a black screen and a blue box asking for a password (I'm guessing that this is a Bios password as is it virtually immediately after power on....Windows has not booted).

After three attempts the system becomes disabled with an error code of 61066100

I have tried removing the CMOS battery and the problem remains.

Anyone out there know how to get around this or totally reset the Bios to get around / reset the password?

Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Sbods

Enter    74944126

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Sbods

Enter    74944126

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Worked a treat - thank-you.

Problem is it now boots windows to a black screen and a box saying "This computer is configured to require a password in order to start up. Please enter the startup password below"

I have looked around and found this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/499573/this-computer-is-configured-to-require-a-password-in...

But I do not really understand it....any advice?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

I think you're referring to a syskey prompt - one possible chance of getting around this is if the scammers did not have time to delete the system restore points, so it may be worth trying the following.

Shutdown the notebook. 

Tap away at f8 as soon as you start the notebook to enter Windows Recovery Console. 

Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter. 

If this loads Ok, from the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point at least 48 hours before your Dad was contacted by the scammers and then proceed with the restore process.  When complete, Windows will hopefully reboot as normal.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Unfortunately safe mode starts up to the same black screen and password prompt.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Here are a couple of other options.

1. If you have a retail Vista installation disc, this can be used to run a windows system restore from the recovery console as follows.

Shutdown the notebook, tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to access the Start-up Menu.  Insert the Vista installation disc.  Select Boot Options ( f9 ), use the arrow keys to highlight the CD/DVD drive and hit enter.  If you see a prompt to 'Press any key to boot...', do so.

Now follow the guide on the following link to run Windows System Restore - choose a restore point at least 48 hours before this issue.

Run Windows System Restore From The Recovery Environment.

2.  Another option, if all your Dads personal data etc is backed-up, would be to reset the notebook to its 'Factory Condition' and then set it up from the beginning – if you don’t have the Recovery Media, the notebook will have shipped with a Recovery Partition which can be accessed at boot - ie shutdown the notebook, then start tapping away at f11 as soon as you power on.

A full guide on this can be found on the following link ( Note: you may find the option to run windows system restore from the recovery menu - if you do, try that first, before resorting to a 'Factory Reset' ).

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00809678

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.