Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
elitebook 8560w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've tried reo51's shotgun -  I also tried them one by one - Got various Error messages ranging between the following:

Error code = 0x89

Notebook is not supported (1631)

Failed to load defaults, error code: 89

All gives the above 3 is some variant, EXCEPT for #22 - Probook 8560w - This entry replies:

Bad command or filename (Could it be that the modelname should be Elitebook 8560w?)

If I can't fix it - What would be the best option - to sell it as an all in one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Urika!!! It worked - bios password removed thanks to KAVYA at hp!

BUT.., Now the battery is still saying 0% available (plugged in, charging) the win7 icon will indicate charging for a few seconds after boot, but then it stops. (also done the following after bios unlocked)

I have - Replaced battery and charger with genuine hp replacement parts.

- flashed the bios to march 2015 version - latest I could download

- Re-installed the ACPI drivers - Note when drivers are reinstalled same behaviour as on startup

But at least the bios password has been removed. (lol)

I've attached a screenshot of the device manager - could the base device driver be a problem - the support assistant nor windows knows what it is.

PS: I should have Posted as: Let fix Frankie - lol.

R24

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Roux24

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

Source > http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/bios-password-reset-Elitebook-85...

Please, don't try any other non-standard methods but contact HP Business support.

Most business class notebooks (including yours Elitebook and Probook) have better security. You will have to contact HP Support for assistance on removing the password.

Here is how >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/business-support.html

HP Business support should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file and instructions which you can use  to reset the password. HP provides free assistance for business class notebooks.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you face any issues.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Product not supported at this site Servers, storage, and networking products are now supported by Hewlett Packard Enterprise. Please go to HP Support Center - Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Product not supported at this site Printers, tablets, and desktop products are now supported by HP Inc. Please go to HP Support Center.

And the loop doesn't stop. Look at the system info - maybe it will shine some light.HP8560w-System info.jpg

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Pass-reset for BIOS cannot be completed in the forum.

Please, click here >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/business-support.html

Select "Business Products"

In the next page, keep the language English and type 8560w

Click "Go" button

On the next page it will identify your product

Enter your serial number and click "Submit"

Proceed with the on-screen options to chat with Support.

Depending on where you are located, support may be available on business hours only, not 24/7.

Level 1 HP Support representative will chat with you and you will provide him/her with the required information.

Case will probably be escalated to tier II support and you will be contacted via email in the following days.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Ok - I got a case nr - I will post results

HP Recommended

Urika!!! It worked - bios password removed thanks to KAVYA at hp!

BUT.., Now the battery is still saying 0% available (plugged in, charging) the win7 icon will indicate charging for a few seconds after boot, but then it stops. (also done the following after bios unlocked)

I have - Replaced battery and charger with genuine hp replacement parts.

- flashed the bios to march 2015 version - latest I could download

- Re-installed the ACPI drivers - Note when drivers are reinstalled same behaviour as on startup

But at least the bios password has been removed. (lol)

I've attached a screenshot of the device manager - could the base device driver be a problem - the support assistant nor windows knows what it is.

PS: I should have Posted as: Let fix Frankie - lol.

R24

HP Recommended

Hi @Roux24

Thank you for your update. Glad that the BIOS issue has been solved.

With regards to your battery/charger issue, please review this official article >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00259897  and follow all the steps.

If you did them all but nothing helps, please contact HP support with another case with them.

HP Recommended

HP Support did not leave me hanging - We are still fixing Frankie - They created a case upon my feedback of the bios issue.

So really awesome commitment from them!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.