Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi 

I updated to windows 10 and after a couple of hours the main display of my laptop went white but my second screen which I use with an HDMI cable is still working.

Here is a screenshot - Screen one is showing white and I am typing this on screen 2  ( continue below picture ) Desktop Screenshot.png

I have updated my drivers in the Device Manger but probelm still persists,here is my specs for screens and link for full

(continue below picutre)

Screen Speccy.png

Full Specs

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ZRXCgJC8x3PrsszxBodRVhn

From my understanding white screens is the LCD cables yet this probelm started after Windows 10 update so I am reluctant to think it is that.My Laptop is still under warranty but dont want to send it in if there is no need as I need it for work.

I have found information online saying that an Image Restore wont work but I have one and can try it if needs be.

Other information found online says my computer has basically "forgotten" that I have a main display to output the information to and render the screen and that is why my second screen works perfectly and I might be able to solve this with booting from save mode and trying to repair it from there yet I have never done that and dont want to cause more problems doing things like that.

What might be the best way to move forward with this problem ie. :

* Is there a way to check LCD cables without taking apart the computer.( Don't want to do this and don't think it is the fault)

* Will system restore help 

* Where / Who should I contact for help in this regard

Thank you for any help provided and please tell me if you require any other info to assist.I would really like to fix the problem myself instead of taking it to a guy or HP 

whitescreenUser

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is a bad screen panel. The Windows 10 upgrade timing is coincidence. You can keep using it as a desktop with an external monitor forever. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Yes white screen tends to be the display cable or even worse the screen panel itself. What happens if you disconnect the second screen from the HDMI port and just try to boot it up to the laptop screen? If the problem is software, i.e. something you can fix with adjustments, then you will still get preboot images on the screen and can get into BIOS etc. If you cannot and the screen is blank before Windows loads, then you know it is hardware, either the screen cable (unlikely) or more likely the screen panel. If you can get into the BIOS then we can keep looking for a software adjustment. 

HP Recommended

Hi 

Thanks for getting back to me.

You are right the screen remains white even when booting when the HDMI cable is removed. As in picture below Picture.png

Here is what it looks like when Cable is in :

Picture2.png

For now I have just set my laptop  to not  " sleep "  when I close my lid and work just of the second display and keep the lid closed and thus that screen off.Can this cause harm in your opinion

What is the best way to move forward to get it sorted?

Any idea though why it would happen at the time I upgraded to windows 10 or is that just an odd coincidence?

Thanks for your great help and taking the time:-)

HP Recommended

That is a bad screen panel. The Windows 10 upgrade timing is coincidence. You can keep using it as a desktop with an external monitor forever. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help and info 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.