Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14 G6S71UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion 14 Notebook which came with Windows 8.1-64 Home, and which I upgraded to Windows 10-64 Home. The upgrade went very badly, but I'd like to use Win 10 if possible. Microsoft recommends that I do a clean install of Windows 10, which will necessitate reinstalling all my MANY programs. They cannot tell me, however, if I still will be able to use some of the HP apps that came pre-loaded on my machine and that I find very useful -- even though I am out of warranty. For example, I use HP Support Assistant for driver updates, and I have found that HP DriveGuard works really well!

Will I still be able to download all these products, and from where? Will I be able to get them from the drivers page for my laptop? If I cannot, I will probably have to settle for reverting to Windows 8.1.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Because the rep on the Microsoft forum was not responding to my queries, today I called the Microsoft Windows 10 phone support number. After the rep wasted another hour of my (and her) time walking me through getting into Safe Mode via multiple methods, all of which I'd told her I had aleady tried; the rep suggested that account customizations I had applied might be the cause of the trouble.

She also informed me that, for security reasons, Windows 10 no longer allows wireless connectivity in Safe Mode; although, if your PC is physically connected to the modem/router, you should be able to get into IE (and maybe even into Edge) in Safe Mode.

So I added a new administrator local account (That is, I log in with a password and not with a Microsoft account.), to be used just for safe mode, and left all its settings at Microsoft's defaults. And lo and behold, it worked! When wired to my router, I was able to get into Safe Mode with internet connectivity via IE! Thanks to this rep, I have success at last.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Your Support page does have software/drivers listed for Windows 10:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-14-v000-notebook-pc-series/6936223/model...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thank you, Cheryl G. I guess that means they'll still be available to me after my rebuild. 🙂

Do I have to install these drivers in any particular order, or can I just go down the page and install the latest of each (if it's not there already)?

HP Recommended

In my opinion it is always best practice to install Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver first. Probably graphics next to ease the eyes-check Device Manager now to be sure what you need. You might want to do a check of Device Manager also to determine which Wireless driver you need since HP uses several different ones and usually lists all options on the driver page.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thank you again for your quick and clear response.

I will attempt the clean install this weekend, and will let you know how it went.

HP Recommended

I just tried to begin the custom clean installation. I got this message: "The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order. For additional info about installing to GPT disks, go to microsoft.com and search for "GPT". Do you wish to proceed with this installation?" I clicked Cancel and saw an Error Code 0x8030002C.

I looked for info on GPT on microsoft.com, but it was beyond my technical scope. I did find this page, blogspot windows 10 installation GPT error , but was afraid to implement it for fear of totally killing my PC. I still have an image of my PC when it was Windows 8.1, and I am also concerned about never being able to reload that image (only as a last recourse, if Windows 10 fails, of course.)

I have inerted a screenshot of my Disk Management, below.

Thank you for your help.

Disk Mgmt.png

HP Recommended

BTW, I don't know whether you'll want to see my DiskPart List too, so here it is. Thank you again.

diskpart list.png

HP Recommended

I researched some more and realized I'd be able to use my backup image if all else failed. So I wiped out all my partitions and ran the clean install. It took 2 days to get all to look the way I need it, but now I'm up and running in Windows 10!

Thank you, Cheryl G!

HP Recommended

I spoke too soon. 😞   I still cannot get into Safe mode with networking. In Safe mode, the Networking Settings page is missing the options for Wi-Fi and airplane mode, and Wi-Fi is disabled. If I try to enable my Wi-Fi adapter via the VPN option, it gets enabled and then immediately disabled again. Also, if I go in as the admin user -- not the built-in one, but the one with my name, I cannot even open the [disconnected] Edge browser; I get a message that the "Built-In Administrator" cannot use Edge in Safe Mode. I can open the offline Edge browser as a standard user.

I tried everything I found online:

1. On my network adapter, in Device Manager, I cleared the option that says Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

2. I tried to connect from the Lock Screen.

3. In the adapter's Wi-Fi Properties tab for "Sharing", I cleared both the box to allow other network users to connect and the box to allow other users to disable the connection.

Anyone have any clue how I can resolve this?

HP Recommended

Still cannot get into networking in safe mode, tried MANY things.

1. I did a clean install, and spent about 3 days reloading all my programs and updating my drivers.

2. On my network adapter, in Device Manager, I cleared the option that says Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

3. I tried to connect from the Lock Screen.

4. In the adapter's Wi-Fi Properties tab for "Sharing", I cleared both the box to allow other network users to connect and the box to allow other users to disable the connection.

5. I connected my laptop to the Ethernet wire and got online (in non-Safe mode.) Then I tried to get online in safe mode with networking, but that didn't work either.

6. I ran sfc /scannow.

7. I went into services.msc and tried every possible service i might need.

8. I also tried disabling all non-Microsoft services in msconfig; didn't work either.

I don't know whether the problem is with my HP configuration, or with Windows 10 itself, so -- after weeks of struggling with this, I posted on a Microsoft forum, too. No results so far.

Anyone have any inkling what this could be? Getting desperate. Thank you, all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.