Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have noticed recently that my Win7 Explorer no longer displays column headings. I know that Win7 now only displays it in "details" but nothing there either. I've tried resetting the folder options - no luck. I see when I googled the problem that others had this problem a year ago but even now, no one seems to have an answer. I tried a restore point but that did not correct it either.

If I have to go back to a factory reset (from D drive) how do I do that? I would prefer something less drastic however.

Thanks,

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue continues to return even after it has been corrected in the registry.  This seems to be related to some unknown program or piece of software that is interfering with the registry.  

Run CCleaner from the link below.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Also, run Malwarebytes from the link below.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

This should clean the system and identify if there is any malware interfering with the registry.  If there is malware detected in the registry, or just a registry issue, Malware bytes should correct it or identify what the issue is with it.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

You dont have do a factory reset for this minor problem. Try the following steps.

1)Type Regedit.exe in start menu search box and Open Registry editor

2)Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ Local Settings \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags.Right-click on the Bags key and choose Delete

3)Similarly Naviage to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ Local Settings \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ BagMRU and delete BagMRU registry key

4)Restart your computer.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I had the same problem and when I tried you regedit solution it worked. The problem eventually recurred so I tried it again but this time it had no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

HP Recommended
Hi,

I too had the same problem. Your solution worked until I closed the explorer window and then returned when I opened it again. When I tried your solution again, it would not work. Any other ideas? Has it recurred for you?

Thanks,

Steve
HP Recommended

Steve007,

I understand your column titles are missing in Windows Explorer.

Are you seeing something like this?

It looks like Ramesh in this thread has a command that may help with this.

1.  Go to Start, search for CMD, right-click the result and select run as administrator.

2.  Enter "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" without the " " marks.

3.  Press Enter and  you should not receive an error indicating it was successful.

Let me know what happens. 

Do you have a 64bit or 32bit Windows installed?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help. It worked after a reboot but after closing Explorer and reopening it, the headings disappeared again.

I am using Win7 home premium 64 bit.

HP Recommended

The issue continues to return even after it has been corrected in the registry.  This seems to be related to some unknown program or piece of software that is interfering with the registry.  

Run CCleaner from the link below.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Also, run Malwarebytes from the link below.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

This should clean the system and identify if there is any malware interfering with the registry.  If there is malware detected in the registry, or just a registry issue, Malware bytes should correct it or identify what the issue is with it.  

Signature
HP Recommended

Hi Cloud Strider,

I ran the ccleaner program as you advised then rebooted. No immediate effect but I went back to a previous suggestion  by Kamat who is apparently an HP employee:

1)Type Regedit.exe in start menu search box and Open Registry editor

2)Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ Local Settings \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags.Right-click on the Bags key and choose Delete

3)Similarly Naviage to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ Local Settings \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ BagMRU and delete BagMRU registry key

4)Restart your computer.

The  bags keys deletions only worked once and would not stick. Once I closed and re opened Explorer the problem returned as did the two registry keys. Deleting them again did not work. Then I ran ccleaner, deleted them again and so far so good. The two Bag keys did return though. I am curious, what do you think is/was happening?

Thanks a lot for all you time and help. This has been a very aggravating problem. I hope it does not return! Especially, since I will be installing Win 7 Pro on the rest of my 6 machine network.

Steve 

HP Recommended

Hi Kamat,

The  Bags keys deletions only worked once and would not stick. Once I closed and re opened Explorer the problem returned as did the two registry keys. Deleting them again did not work. Then in another post, Cloud Strider suggested I run ccleaner.  I did so, deleted the Bags keys again, and so far so good. The two Bag keys did return though. I am curious, what do you think is/was happening?

Thanks to both of you for your time and help. This has been a very aggravating problem. I hope it does not return! Especially, since I will be installing Win 7 Pro on the rest of my 6 machine network.

Thanks,

Steve

HP Recommended

Hi,

Spoke too soon. The problem has returned. It does seem that if I keep deleting the Bags keys it temporarily solves it but I can't make the solution stick. Very aggravating.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.