Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 650 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I've got a problem installing Win7 Professional x64 on my GPT partition and using UEFI to boot.

I've got a DVD from HP with Win7, so I did everything as written here:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

1. Made an ISO image from Win7 DVD I was sent from HP.

2. Using Rufus & my ISO image I created UEFI bootable USB.

3. Fastboot & Secureboot disabled.

4. Cannot boot from USB using ISO.

5. I get an error: 'An error occurred with the boot selection, verify media is present and retry'.

Any help?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The screen shots below are from a consumer HP 15t-j100 notebook computer... the options and configuration screens on your business class computer may differ.

Please try your existing Windows 7 USB installation media created with Rufus, following the below instructions. If this doesn't work, please run use Rufus again to create another Windows 7 USB stick... and then try installing Windows again.

You will need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the "BIOS Secure Boot configuration" on the settings page similar to what is shown below, before you can attempt to install Windows 7;

Sec Boot Legacy Sup.jpg

After saving the changes, the computer will request that you confirm the changes... Accept the changes by typing the four digit code and pressing the "ENTER" key.

Confirm Change.jpg

If are you are installing Windows 7 from a USB stick and see a "Load Driver - a required CD/DVD drive device is missing" message, this is because "System Configuration" > "USB3.0 Config in Pre-Boot" is set to "Enabled". This must be set to "Auto", if this option exists. Alternately, using a USB2.0 port should eliminate this issue.

USB3 setting.jpg

Additionally, as the factory hard drive is partitioned as GPT, you must boot from a UEFI boot source to install Windows on a GPT partitioned disk. Turn on or reboot the computer and tap "F9" or "ESC" and then "F9" when prompted. Highlight the UEFI boot source you are using and press "ENTER".

F9 Boot Menu.jpg

I suggest using Windows 7 SP1 for the best intallation experience. If the DVD refuses to boot as UEFI, you may need to use a USB Flash drive (may require DISABLING "Fast Boot" in the BIOS) as the installation media. Please download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a Windows 7 SP1 USB Flash drive. Please note that some computers may not recognize a valid UEFI enabled USB Flash drive if it is formated as NTFS and may require a FAT32 formatted USB Flash drive. You should be able to make a FAT32 formatted Windows 7 installation USB Flash drive using RufusUNetbootin, Universal USB Installer, or WiNToBootic. I like Rufus, as it has options for "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" and "FAT32".

From the top...

Download f6flpy-x64.zip, extract the files/folders and place on a seperate USB Flash Drive.

1)  Turn on the computer and immediately start tapping the "ESC" key.

2)  When the MENU comes up, press the "F10" key.

3)  Navigate the BIOS to "System Configuration", "USB 3.0 Config in Pre-OS" and set to "Auto".

4)  Navigate the BIOS to  "System Configuration", "Boot Options" and set "Secure Boot" to "Disabled" and set "Legacy Support" to "Enabled".

5)  Press "F10" and click "YES" to "Exit Saving Changes"

6)  Computer should restart and display "Operating System Boot Mode Change"... type the four digit code and press "ENTER".

7)  Let Windows 8 boot-up and place the Windows 7 SP1media in the DVD drive or USB port, then log-off / shutdown.

😎  Turn on the computer and immediately start tapping the "ESC" key.

9)  When the MENU comes up, press the "F9" key and then select the correct UEFI boot source (Internal CD/DVD drive, USB CD/DVD drive, USB Flash drive, etc.)... Press any key to boot CD/DVD, if prompted.

10)  Select "Language", "Time / Currency", and "Keyboard" settings and then click "Next"

11)  Click "Install Now"... check "Accept Terms" and click "Next". Click "Custom (Advanced)". 

12)  You may need to supply Intel SATA/RAID drivers at this time...  Insert the USB Flash drive with the previously extracted Intel SATA\RAID drivers.

13)  Follow all prompts and answer as needed. Enter Windows 7 key when requested.

Please post (just the text) the Windows Device Manager's "Hardware Ids" all missing and/or unknown devices, as shown in the example below and we can direct you to the proper drivers;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

@kujaw wrote:

Hello, I've got a problem installing Win7 Professional x64 on my GPT partition and using UEFI to boot.

I've got a DVD from HP with Win7, so I did everything as written here:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

1. Made an ISO image from Win7 DVD I was sent from HP.

2. Using Rufus & my ISO image I created UEFI bootable USB.

3. Fastboot & Secureboot disabled.

4. Cannot boot from USB using ISO.

5. I get an error: 'An error occurred with the boot selection, verify media is present and retry'.

Any help?

UEFI is for Win8 and newer only. You have to be in Legacy BIOS to install Windows 7.

Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

So there's no possibility to install Windows 7 on GPT formatted disk? Because for GPT it needs to be booted by UEFI and you say that I only can boot Win 7 by BIOS.

HP Recommended

@kujaw wrote:

So there's no possibility to install Windows 7 on GPT formatted disk? Because for GPT it needs to be booted by UEFI and you say that I only can boot Win 7 by BIOS.

UEFI with a Win8 installed machine must be turned to Legacy BIOS if you want to install Win7. There is no way around UEFI that has a Win8 Product Key embedded. GPT can be used if the Win7 install gives you that option when you install otherwise it is MBR format.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

You will need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the "BIOS Secure Boot configuration" on the settings page similar to what is shown below, before you can attempt to install Windows 7;

Sec Boot Legacy Sup.jpg

Additionally, as the factory hard drive is partitioned as GPT, you must boot from a UEFI boot source to install Windows on a GPT partitioned disk. Turn on or reboot the computer and tap "F9" or "ESC" and then "F9" when prompted. Highlight the UEFI boot source you are using and press "ENTER".

F9 Boot Menu.jpg

Myself and thousands of others have succeeded in installing Windows 7 on a GPT partitioned disk by DISABLING "Secure Boot" and ENABLING "Legacy Support". Infact, I have installing Windows 7 on many Windows 8 and 8.1 HP computers. The Windows installation media must be x64 for it to work as a UEFI boot source.

It can be done... you just have to find what the source of your issue is.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended
ok i have tried everything i can think of and nothing.....its like the bios has deleted itself after i reset it to default values....i tried the bios recovery, didnt work, tried taking the cmos battery out, didnt work, tried making the hdd bootable like a flash drive, didnt work, tried loading OS using another laptop, didnt work, even tho that method worked on another laptop......i put it down to the new UEFI/legacy bios hybrid.......the laptop does not have a dvd drive which would have made life easier.....i have a feeling that the bootable flash drive is not suitable for UEFI run systems.....I much prefer the old bios system as it was much easier to work with......i seriously need some help as this is seriously doing my head in.....is there someone out there who has been thru this???? please?????? thankyou p.s. It is a hp 250 g4 i had to clean the hdd externally with another machine on a different post which got me nowhere unfortunately it was suggested that i reset the bios to default values which only seemed to "erase" the bios took out the cmos battery no luck "flashed"/reloaded bios with flash driver from tool on hp website no luck i really dont know what is going on.....i am sorta out of my depth on this one any help very much greatly appreciated
HP Recommended

tell u what....if it wasnt for the fact that neither myself nor my friend can afford to purchase a different branded laptop i would hurl her HP at a concrete wall and get a lenovo or toshiba.....compared to lenovo, which i currently own, the HP forum is an absolute joke....sorry but there it is....i had 1 only 1 person attempt to help me and unfortunately he, despite being considered an "expert", was severely lacking in proper knowledge and when i commented again with another problem i was facing i got nothing from anyone....whereas with lenovo i had multiple ppl replying to my questions so was able to set my laptop up perfectly....on a thread i started i asked the same question twice....on this thread i asked the same question....still nothing....nearly 180 ppl have looked at my question on this thread and a measly 35 on the one i started....i am astounded at the lack of useful information for those of us who end up having to live with the regrettable choice of purchasing a HP product....and ppl wonder why i cant stand them.....bet i will get an answer to this comment though..........for those out there wondering where i am at, i am having issues with the usb ports....apparently no such driver exists for the laptop i am trying to fix....thanx a lot ppl

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.