Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G5
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I purchased a laptop form HP which supposedly had the option the upgrade to windows 10, it has a windows 10 sticekd on the bottom, not the usual one with a licence key, but it has come supplied with Windows 7 - What is the best way to ensure a smooth upgrade please?

Is there an on screen method or do i need to create a bootable usb media?

My only concern was being prompted for a licence key i dont have if it thinks i should have purchased a copy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

When you install W10 from the HP-supplied disk, it should automatically work with the embedded W10 pro product key in your notebook's BIOS.

Starting with all PC's that come with W8 or newer, all the product keys are in the BIOS.  No more product key stickers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook came with W7 Pro from HP, then there should have been a W10 Pro installation disk in the package.

You would use that disk to install W10.

If you did not receive a W10 Pro installation disk, I recommend you contact HP technical support in the country you live in and ask for a W10 Pro installation disk.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

I have an HP 350 G1 that came with W8.1 Pro downgraded to W7 Pro and there was a W8.1 Pro installation disk in the box.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the reply, when putting the disc in, Will the laptop recognise it has had a windows 10 key assigned to it and not ask me for one?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

When you install W10 from the HP-supplied disk, it should automatically work with the embedded W10 pro product key in your notebook's BIOS.

Starting with all PC's that come with W8 or newer, all the product keys are in the BIOS.  No more product key stickers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.