Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I finally got Windows 10 installed via the update method from Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  But now I am unable to get the fingerprint scanner to work. It shows up in Device Manager as working okay and drivers installed. However in Win10 Settings, Logins, the option to enable the fingerprint scanner does not appear.  Now what?

One of the prerequisites to enable the fingerprint scanner in Win10 is to first set up a PIN login, which I did. After that and rebooted  I was offered the PIN signin, which worked.  But STILL, nothing I could do would let me setup the fingerprint scanner in Windows login settings. It's as though there was no fingerprint scanner installed on the machine.

I checked the HP Support website for an updated fingerprint scanner driver, but none was offered. I tried uninstalling the hardware in Device Manager. It appears under Biometric>Validity Sensor.  After uninstalling I made it search for new hardware. It found that sensor and reinstalled the drivers. It said the device was working. 

But after reboot I am still unable to see an Enable Fingerprint Scanner choice in Windows 10 Settings>Accounts>Sign-in Options. The items in the right column in that section are Require Sign-In; Password; PIN; Picture Password; and Related settings.

When I search Win 10 settings for Fingerprint Scanner, it provides a link that takes me to that Sign-In Options page, but there is no item for Hello or Setup Fingerprint Sign-in.

Has anyone been able to get fingerprint scanner to work in Win 10 with an HP ProBook laptop?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

After much trial and error, I have finally found a way to get the fingerprint scanner on select HP laptops to work with Windows 10 ‘HELLO’.

First, one needs to verify that the machine has the required scanner. The scanner is usually already installed in Device Manager, but not recognized anywhere else. So, to check that the device is the correct one for this process to work, its ID should be checked in Device Manager. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click on the Start button and type “Device Manager” and ENTER. This should launch the Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Biometric devices. You should now see an entry for the Validity Sensor (It sometimes has additional descriptions, but all we need is to ID the VALIDITY device).
  3. Double-click on the VALIDITY device to open its’ Properties
  4. Click on the Details tab and select Hardware Ids in the Property entry box.
  5. If the device can be ‘fixed’ with the process detailed below, it will have a Hardware ID of: USB\VID_138A&PID_0007
  6. You can now close all open windows until you are back at the desktop.
  7. Nothing has been changed yet, BUT…if the Hardware ID matches the entry above, you are ‘good to go’ in performing the procedures below!

Hopefully, the Hardware ID will match on your machine and you can now proceed with the actual download and upgrade procedures as detailed in the following stages:

Stage 1 - Download

1. First, we need to get the correct driver for Windows 10. This can be found at: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=VFS451
  2. Either of the drivers with a Version 4.5.124.0 will do the trick, so click on the ADD button beside one of them, then click on view basket (1) which will be just below the SEARCH box at the upper right of the window.
  3. This takes you to your basket and you will see the entry for the file you added earlier. Now click on the Download button to the upper right of the selection information.
  4. This opens a Download Options window so you can browse for a local folder to download the file into. Click on the Browse button, then click on the Yes button in the UAC warning window that opens.
  5. In the Browse For Folder window that has just opened, click on the This PC entry and then on the C: drive entry.
  6. Now click on the Make New Folder button and then type in Validity as the new folder name and click on the OK button.
  7. The folder name C:\Validity should now show in the Folder: box in the Download Options If it does, click on the Continue button.
  8. Wait until the Download Progress window shows that the download is finished, then click on the Close button to finish the download process.

Now we have to ‘unpack’ the files we need because the download you have just received is a .CAB file and we need the actual files it contains. The easiest way to do this is by using a program like 7-zip to unpack the files. 7-zip is a free download available at:

http://7-zip.org/download.html

The following steps are completed using an installed version of 7-zip, but any other program capable of unpacking a .CAB file may be used.

Stage 2 – Unpacking

1. Open File Explorer and browse to the folder we downloaded our new driver package to (C:\Validity).
  2. Double-click on the Validity Sensors, Inc. driver update for Validity Sensors (WBF) VFS451 folder and you will see a Cabinet File (,cab) named IA64_AMD64_X86-all-200000601_40fd10f76e19e2f6715ed8c55e103fc38f3e8f28. This is the file we need to unpack.
  3. Using 7-zip, we can easily unpack this file by doing a ‘right-click’ on the file name, selecting 7-zip from the drop-down menu and from the 7-zip menu, select ‘Extract Files…’.
  4. This will open a 7-zip ‘Extract’ window. Now we need to tell 7-zip where we want the files extracted to.
  5. In the ‘Extract to:’ box, type: “C:\Validity\Unpacked” (without the quotes) and then click on the OK button.
  6. Our driver files are now unpacked and ready for installation.

Stage 3 – Installing

1. Click on the Start button and type “Device Manager” and ENTER. This should launch the Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Biometric devices You should now see an entry for the Validity Sensor (It sometimes has additional descriptions, but all we need is to be sure it is the VALIDITY device).
  3. Double-click on the VALIDITY device to open its’ Properties
  4. Click on the Driver tab, then on the “Update Driver” button.
  5. Select “Browse my computer for driver software”.
  6. Now select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  7. In the new window, click on the “Have Disk..” button.
  8. In the window that opens now, click on the “Browse...” button and browse to the C:\Validity\unpacked folder and click on the “wbf_vfs451” file, then click on the “Open” button.
  9. Now, in the Install From Disk window, click on the OK button.
  10. In the current window, click on the “Next” button.
  11. After the driver is installed, you will be told that “Windows has successfully updated your driver software” and you can now click on the Close button.
  12. Finally, you can close the Validity Properties window, then close Device Manager and reboot the machine to implement the new driver.

Once your machine is restarted, you can go to Settings – Accounts – Sign-in options and you should see a selection area for “Windows Hello” in which you can set up your fingerprints. No other software is required, but on some machines, you may have to set a PIN first to activate Windows Hello.

This process worked perfectly on my two HP Laptops – one an Elitebook 8540W and the second, an Elitebook 8460p.

HP Recommended

you first link dosen't work,and hardware ids is not match with my pc.my pc model hp probook 4540s

HP Recommended

will this process works for hp probook 450 g2?

HP Recommended

thanks . it works for my Hp 8440p Elitebook laptop

HP Recommended

The best way to do this in windows 10 is to just allow windows update the driver automatically online.. This gives the right driver and is almost instant.

HP Recommended

@Nimendo,

Thanks for the tips, it worked out fine on an older EliteBook 2540P which I upgraded to Windows 10.

One thing that initially blocked me was the fact that I had an installed driver, which Windows claimed was the latest version. When I started with deleting the current driver, an option once you drill down to the device in the windows Device Manager, and reinstalling it by specifically pointing to the installation file downloaded and unzipped as explained by Nimendo, the option in Hello for fingerprints appeared. Fingerprint now works, Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hey! I need help too. My laptop is hp 820 windows 10. My fingerprint sensor was working fine but then it stopped working. I checked in my settings and found that it is currently unavailable. I couldn't understand the reason. I need help. Kindly guide me on how I can enable that feature again. Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

@8202
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. Go to the HP Drivers and Downloads page for your model.

2. Follow the on-screen instructions. Enter your model number or product number.

3. Select Software and Driver Downloads.

4. Click your operating system under Select operating system.

5. After clicking the operating system, find and select the Software - Security section.

6. Click on HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software.

7. Click Download, and then Save the file to a convenient location on your hard drive, such as the desktop on the computer.

8. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the instructions to install the HP SimplePass Identity Protection software.

The computer's BIOS must support the use of a biometric device and the fingerprint reader option must be enabled in the BIOS. If you have installed the latest version of the HP SimplePass Identity Protection software for your computer and experience problems, download and install the latest BIOS for your computer model. See Updating the BIOS for more information.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.