Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
15-ay503tx
FreeDOS
I installed Windows 10 on my DOS laptop. It is crashing every month. Every month windows apps stop working and I have to reinstall the OS again.It has been two months since I bought the laptop.
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @NeelamVivek

The description of the issue is too generic and since Windows was recently reinstalled, there is no technical data to troubleshoot. The PC does support Windows 10 but the issue is not caused by HP. It could have been virus infection, Windows 10 update corrupting something, some app fault, etc...

Using GNU/Linux based OS such as Ubuntu is a good start
>> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Ubuntu-not-installing/m-p/60772...

>> http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

🙂

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
How to know what caused it to crash. I think it may crash after one month. What to do?
HP Recommended

Well, let's start by explaining your definition of "crash" - what happened so that you believe it crashed ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
For 25 days it worked properly. When I opened my laptop the otherday, I saw that windows store and Microsoft edge is not working. The next day, start button stopped working. When I press the start button, a popup with"Start button is not working. We will fix the issue when you restart next time"(almost same meaning). Notifications button to the right side is also stopped working. I could access settings by using control panel. Later, it is also not opening. Completely all windows apps stopped working.
I again reinstalled it. But after one month, same situation. To the last all windows apps, start button, settings, usb connectivity, notifications stopped working. I again reinstalled it. I have a strong feeling that it will again stops working.
I am thinking for replacement of the laptop.
HP Recommended

Hi @NeelamVivek

Thank you for your reply.

This is not a laptop issue - you dont need to replace it.

This is Windows 10 issue. If you install another OS or another version of Windows you will probably not have these issues.

Start button stopped working - known old issue with Windows 10. Here are details:

> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/critical-error-start-menu-and-cor...

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2990812/windows/12-irritating-windows-10-installation-issues-and-how-...

> https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-your-start-menu-isnt-working-windows-10

Windows Store and Modern/Metro apps stopped working:

> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/OS/message-id/482734

It seems to me that your Windows account gets corrupted. This can be fixed by creating another account and migrating your data to it. It is also recommended that yoy use local account, not Microsoft connected account.

What is your Windows edition you use - Home/Pro/Education/Enterprise ...  ?

How did you obtain it - do you have a license for it and what type it is ?

Are you using the Insider builds or the standard builds?  If you are not sure about that , go to Control Panel > System and you will find the information present there.

Windows 10 is a tricky as it automatically updates itself by default and you cannot prevent it from updating (generally speaking).

What securty software/programs you use ?

Looking forward to your reply.

HP Recommended
I am using Windows 10 Home. It was installed by the local seller from whom I bought the laptop. I am using Kaspersky Network Security as security software. So far 8 of my classmates bought the same laptop from the same vendor. But no one got any problem till now. What maybe the reasons for only my OS is crashing.
HP Recommended

@NeelamVivek wrote:
I am using Windows 10 Home. It was installed by the local seller from whom I bought the laptop.

Did you pay for the Windows - do you have a COA sticker with Windows 10 attached to your PC - like this one, or you bought it in a box ? Let me clarify, I don't care if you paid for the Windows or not, just trying to figure out if the Windows you got was original version, latest version or some old one.

Are you able to start Windows 10 now ?

If yes, can you click on Start > type winver and let me know which version you run - build.

Can you click on Start > Settings > Update & Security

Do you see the Insider preview subsection/tab ?  Can you ensure that Insider preview has been disabled ? Actually, is it turned on ?

HP Recommended
There is no sticker or box with the laptop.
Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1066)
Insider preview is disabled
HP Recommended

@NeelamVivek wrote:
But no one got any problem till now. What maybe the reasons for only my OS is crashing.

Not sure exactly - it's hard to tell. It could be some Windows 10 bug (software error), a virus/malware infection or some faulty Windows 10 update that has been applied. Windows 10 Home updates automatically on its own whenever it wants.

It looks to me that it was corrupted user account (not really the entire Windows) and might be fixed by creating another user account and migrating the date from old account to new one.

With the post above I am asking you for more info to clarify if the Windows was configured as beta-tester (Insider preview build) and if you are running updated version - for example the Start menu issue you describe is an old story.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.