Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 14t-2000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello! I am using an HP Envy 14t-2000 and I would like to upgrade the OS to Windows 10. Will Windows 10 be okay for this laptop? Or will I run into problems? I just need to make sure before I upgrade since I've heard of so many horror stories about Windows 10 upgrades. Thanks! :generic:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

voodooenvy

First of all, do NOT trust anything that MS says regarding compatibility of upgrading ANY PC to Win10.  I did and it trashed two of my PCs so badly I had to restore them to original factory condition to get them working again.

If you upgrade your PC to Win10, and it trashes is and you contact MS, they will send you HERE and disavow any responsibility for trashing your PC.  We see this same problem time and time again.

Second, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality in laptops is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in laptops -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your laptop.  HP does not have any schedule indicating when, or IF, they will be producing drivers for the older machines.

However, for MS-supplied drivers that aren't working well, you could consider using HP Win8 drivers -- although there's no guarantee that those drivers will work.  Here's the link to the HP Product drivers and software page for Win8 for your PC:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-14-2000-Notebook-PC-series/5091481/model/511...

You might have to install the drivers using compatibility mode: http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

However ... BEFORE you attempt any upgrade, I would strongly suggest that you make an image backup of your system to an external drive or large USB stick. This is VITAL because the machine might fail the upgrade, and if it does, you will learn that the Win10 GoBack function is NOT reliable, and that can leave you with a corrupted machine that will require factory reset, and losing everything on it, to get it working again.

You avoid this by making an image backup to an external drive or USB stick using Macrium Reflect (MR) which provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Third, Windows Update is the easiest, but least reliable, way to do the Win10 Upgrade.  A much better, and more reliable way, is to use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10   Choose the Upgrade this PC now option.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
HP has not tested your PC model for upgrade to Windows 10.
I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

Regards,
Vamshi
HP Recommended

Hi,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-id/windows/windows-10-specifications

please refer to this link to check your system spec is suitable for Win 10 upgrade.

HP Recommended

Hello there,

Your computer supports Win 10 Operating system on it, there's no doubt about the compatibility.

But HP recommends the original operating system that the computer came with, as we have not tested Win 10 on it.

You can still go ahead and install it, but HP would not recommend that.

Cheers!

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

Regards,
Vamshi
HP Recommended

Hey guys thanks for the replies!

Specs-wise, I am already aware of what the requirements are for Windows 10, and that it may not work for computers made before August 2013. So I was hoping to find people who have already tried upgrading to Windows 10 on the same (or at least similar) model of the HP Envy 14 and find out if it has been working okay.

HP Recommended

voodooenvy

First of all, do NOT trust anything that MS says regarding compatibility of upgrading ANY PC to Win10.  I did and it trashed two of my PCs so badly I had to restore them to original factory condition to get them working again.

If you upgrade your PC to Win10, and it trashes is and you contact MS, they will send you HERE and disavow any responsibility for trashing your PC.  We see this same problem time and time again.

Second, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality in laptops is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in laptops -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your laptop.  HP does not have any schedule indicating when, or IF, they will be producing drivers for the older machines.

However, for MS-supplied drivers that aren't working well, you could consider using HP Win8 drivers -- although there's no guarantee that those drivers will work.  Here's the link to the HP Product drivers and software page for Win8 for your PC:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-14-2000-Notebook-PC-series/5091481/model/511...

You might have to install the drivers using compatibility mode: http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

However ... BEFORE you attempt any upgrade, I would strongly suggest that you make an image backup of your system to an external drive or large USB stick. This is VITAL because the machine might fail the upgrade, and if it does, you will learn that the Win10 GoBack function is NOT reliable, and that can leave you with a corrupted machine that will require factory reset, and losing everything on it, to get it working again.

You avoid this by making an image backup to an external drive or USB stick using Macrium Reflect (MR) which provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Third, Windows Update is the easiest, but least reliable, way to do the Win10 Upgrade.  A much better, and more reliable way, is to use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10   Choose the Upgrade this PC now option.

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hey WAWood, thank you so much for all that information!

Didn't realize the GoBack function was so unreliable. I better do a proper backup if I decide to try upgrading. Thanks again! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.