Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Pressario CQ71
Microsoft Windows Vista

I have a HP Compaq Pressario CQ71 Notebook PC currantly running with Windows Vista Home Premium operaying system. Need to change the operating system as Vista support expires in April 2017.

The Pc  has:

Intel (R) CPU T 1600  1,66 GHz

Operating system 32 bit

Ram:  3 Gt

Is it  capable of handling Windows 10 or do I have to upgrade to either Windows 8 or 7.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

3 gigs of RAM on a 1.66 ghz single core 32 bit processor? Windows 7, 8 and 10 are not significantly different in their resource needs. Any of them actually takes less overhead than Vista. Windows 7 has become a major pain to update, Windows 8 I just never learned to like, and Windows 10 has all that "nanny-state" control stuff on it. 

Windows 7 is likely to be cheapest and have the best driver support. However, Windows 10 will support your hardware. The Intel GMA4500 video can be made to work by installing a Windows 7 or even Vista driver in compatibility mode. 

I would avoid Windows 8/8.1. 

I would likely be persuaded by cost. Paying full price for a copy of Windows 10 is probably too big an investment. You can find legal Windows 7 licenses and downloads for around $40. Home Premium would be fine but as you know it has to be 32 bit because of your processor. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.