Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-f004dx Notebook PC
My computer was being slow so I used the start button to set it to factory setting, and it rest into Windows 8. So I tried to reinstall Windows 10, and after installing updates for hours, it finally restarted. But when it restarted, it got stuck on the HP logo screen. Nothing else is on the screen and I've tried booting into safe mode. No buttons will register and I've tried disconnecting the battery and charger but nothing has worked so far. Then, I opened the back case and just blew the dust out of it, and then it opened up to a screen that gave me repair options, saying it hadn't restarted properly. So I selected the option to continue to Windows 10 and it's back to where it started. I have no idea what to do now. Please help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@kaeysea

When you say it's "back to where it started" -- where is that?  Windows 8 or, Windows 10?

You were able to reset the PC back to Win8 earlier because you had NOT done the Win10 Upgrade.

While Microsoft tells you that there is no risk in the Win10 Upgrade, because they let you believe that you can always revert back to your original OS and setup within 30 days, the ugly fact of the matter is that the Win10 GoBack function has proven to be unreliable -- and when it fails, it can leave machines in a corrupted state -- which doesn't always happen, but it does happen often enough to be a problem and you won't get any warning in advance that it is going to trash your PC!

If that is not bad enough, the Win10 Upgrade is know to corrupt the Recovery partition stored there by the OEM that built the original machine. This pretty much guarantees that no HP Recovery is going to work: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Recovery-Manager-Blocked-After-Windo...

This means that RESET no longer works on your laptop due to your doing the Win10 Upgrade.

So, if you actually want restore your PC to its original condition, you need something known as HP Recovery Media.

What is it you want to do now?

We can proceed when you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @kaeysea

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to boot into windows after installing windows 10.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below document to fix this issue.

http://hp.care/2dMCqb8

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@kaeysea

When you say it's "back to where it started" -- where is that?  Windows 8 or, Windows 10?

You were able to reset the PC back to Win8 earlier because you had NOT done the Win10 Upgrade.

While Microsoft tells you that there is no risk in the Win10 Upgrade, because they let you believe that you can always revert back to your original OS and setup within 30 days, the ugly fact of the matter is that the Win10 GoBack function has proven to be unreliable -- and when it fails, it can leave machines in a corrupted state -- which doesn't always happen, but it does happen often enough to be a problem and you won't get any warning in advance that it is going to trash your PC!

If that is not bad enough, the Win10 Upgrade is know to corrupt the Recovery partition stored there by the OEM that built the original machine. This pretty much guarantees that no HP Recovery is going to work: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Recovery-Manager-Blocked-After-Windo...

This means that RESET no longer works on your laptop due to your doing the Win10 Upgrade.

So, if you actually want restore your PC to its original condition, you need something known as HP Recovery Media.

What is it you want to do now?

We can proceed when you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.