Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 13-d115t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I've just purchased "HP Envy Notebook 13 - d115t". Notebook comes with Window 10 Home.

I need to install Windows 7 into it, can anyone suggest step by step procedure for it ?

Also I'm not able to find out drivers for the same, so if any one has details then please let me know....

Regards,

Vishal Udani

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

vishaludani

Sorry to be the bearer of bad newes, but you should not downgrade your Win10 laptop to Win7.

Laptops especially contain specialized hardware for which, for full functionality, specialized drivers are required -- and these come ONLY from the OEM, in this case, HP. Your PC came preinstalled with Windows 10. If you remove or overwrite the original Win10 on your PC with Win 7, you are going to encounter serious problems as there are no HP Win7 drivers for the new hardware that comes with new machines.  

MS supplies drivers that provide only basic functionality.  This means that some of the hardware functionality is likely NOT to work if you force a downgrade.  That includes functions like the touchpad, WiFi, switchable graphics, USB ports -- to name the functions commonly reported here.

If you want full functionality for the machine, you need to retain its original preinstalled OS version.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I'm sorry, but this guy above here has no idea what he's talking about.

Before you downgrade, search for the Device Manager (blasted 10 making everything difficult so you have to SEARCH for even the basic functions!).  Scroll down the list and write down the devices shown in Display Adapters, Processors (you only need one... will be multiple instances for a multicore processor), Card Reader Adapters, Sound and Video Adapters, and Network Adaptors.  Go to each manufacturer website and download the drivers to be put on a USB memory stick or driver CD-RW or DVD-R.

I have found that, generally, the hardware manufacturers (AMD, Synaptics, a couple others) have newer driver versions than the PC manufacturers do and you're better off with them.  Some drivers will be hard to find, however.

I'll be downgrading my 15F387 shortly.  As soon as I'm done downloading drivers.  10 is worse than any other OS I have ever used, and I survived both Vista and ME...  Constant upgrades that WON'T INSTALL.  And this is AFTER a system restore that deleted all of my files (good thing it was new and everything was on a USB stick) and FireFox.  Memory hog.  Can't find anything I need to.  Can't adjust certain things like I used to be able to.  Can't turn certain things off like I used to.  Can't delete certain bloatware.  Touchscreen is nice, but I bought a LAPTOP, not a TABLET or CELL PHONE...  This "app" junk is garbage.  And I don't need Xbox junk either.  Yes, I have one, but my LAPTOP isn't my XBOX.

HP Recommended

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and product number (p/n) of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the bottom of your computer, inside the battery compartment or on the startup BIOS screen. Please see How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? for more assistance locating this information. DO NOT include your serial number.

hp label.png

Before modifying or changing anything, please create your personal HP Recovery Media.

Assuming you meant you have an HP ENVY Notebook - 13-d115tu (p/n: V5D70PA)...

You will need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the "BIOS Secure Boot configuration" on the settings page similar to what is shown below, before you can attempt to install Windows 7;

Sec Boot Legacy Sup.jpg

After saving the changes, the computer may request that you confirm the changes... Accept the changes by typing the four digit code and pressing the "ENTER" key.

Confirm Change.jpg

Additionally, Intel removed USB 2.0 support from the Skylake chipset, therefore normal DVD and USB Windows 7 installs will not work on 6th generation Intel chipsets. You have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 7 ISO using this Intel utility; 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Wi​​​​ndows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

After running this utility and directing it to your Windows 7 ISO, you should be able to install Windows.

You may also need to provide the below driver for Windows 7 to see the hard drive... Extract the files onto another usb flash drive without any folders;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/In​​tel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driv...

You may need to install the below driver to make the USB ports usable in Windows 7;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/US​​B-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Contr...

After Windows 7 is installed you will need to install all the required drivers before it will be fully functional. Please post (just the text) the Windows Device Manager's "Hardware Ids" for all remaining missing and/or unknown devices, as shown in the example below and we can direct you to the proper drivers;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

vishaludani

You are, or course, free to "listen to" whomever you want --  I was only trying to save you the grief of downgrading to Win7 only to discover (1) stuff does not work and (2) there is no easy way to bet back to a working PC.

There are no HP Win7 drivers for your PC, so if you end up with hardware not working, you're pretty much stuck.

And, yes, you CAN search for other drivers from the manufacturer -- I never said you could not -- but if one of the nonfunctional drivers is the networking one, that makes downloading and installing drivers a great deal of work.

If you are DETERMINED to do the Win7 install, then at least follow these instructions for doing an image backup of your PC.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition.  This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.